News: The Timeless Beauty is a forum for women over 40.
Chat with us about makeup, skin care, or whatever is on your mind.
Free and open membership. Never any ads. Privacy always respected.
Interested? Read here and/or here. Or just register!

Author Topic: Embarking on a new lifestyle  (Read 656 times)

Styyna

• Ageless Beauty
  • "steena"
Embarking on a new lifestyle
« on: October 29, 2016, 03:31:08 AM »
This past week I started working with a personal trainer and I'm very enthused!

One of the things that attracted me to our new town is the presence of a Senior Center with a gym, pool, and many social activities. It helps fulfill a couple of my needs: a place to improve my physical condition and a knitting group.

My first session with my trainer was all about paperwork and assessments. Yesterday we had our first workout and it went very well. She challenged me but not painfully so. This morning I can tell that I used muscles that have been idle for too long. It's a good feeling. A lot of what I did can be done at home, too, which I like. With winter coming, weather and the inability to get out won't get in the way of exercising.

She's also overseeing my diet and I like her style. No forbidden foods because they create cravings. Just choices and encouragement to make mostly good choices. She had me track my foods for 3 days before we met and made constructive recommendations to improve my diet. None of it was news to me but now I have someone inquiring and it's harder to reach for a treat knowing I may have to "confess".
  • Complexion: NW10; slight rosacea; dry
  • Eyes: Blue-gray
  • Hair: Dark blonde with slight gray, thick, wavy, dry
To be kind to all, to like many and love a few, to be needed and wanted by those we love, is certainly the nearest we can come to happiness. - Mary Stuart

SusieQ

• Ageless Beauty
Re: Embarking on a new lifestyle
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2016, 03:25:38 PM »
 :sallesport: That's great news, Styyna!   I could use a personal trainer but s/he will need to catch me first.  :dog:
  • Complexion: Medium/Combination
  • Eyes: Brown
  • Hair: Black w/waves

chataround

• Gold Member
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2016, 03:05:05 PM »

It's been a little bit since you first posted this Styyna, how are you enjoying it now?
  • Complexion: very fair, some slight rosacea
  • Eyes: hazel
  • Hair: slightly wavy, shoulder length, soft black
"Taking joy in living is a woman's best cosmetic."
                   - Rosalind Russell

Styyna

• Ageless Beauty
  • "steena"
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2016, 04:04:43 PM »
I love it! I'm having new experiences every week. For example, I learned that my brain and body really can communicate and improve my balance - this is a life-altering discovery. I've always had poor balance, even when in fairly good shape, so to see improvement in balance is a big deal to me. My trainer has slowly been increasing reps and weight and that's encouraging. I'm actually getting stronger all over!

My goals have all been fitness and health related so I haven't even paid attention to my weight during these early weeks. I don't think it has changed much if at all, based on how my clothing fits. That's OK though. I'll modify my diet a little more in coming weeks and should then see a change in weight.

I haven't been able to participate in aqua yoga yet. It's held in the afternoon on Wednesdays and it seems like every week there is a medical appointment for me or DH on that day. That, too, is OK. I still have that to look forward to.

I can't speak highly enough of the benefits of working with a trainer. Mine has lots of certifications, including one pertaining to working with older clients. I feel very fortunate to work with someone so highly qualified. It's not inexpensive but for these first weeks, a weekly session is worth the investment in my opinion. I have so much to learn about form and how to use the equipment and my body. At my age, it just seems prudent to learn from a pro.
  • Complexion: NW10; slight rosacea; dry
  • Eyes: Blue-gray
  • Hair: Dark blonde with slight gray, thick, wavy, dry
To be kind to all, to like many and love a few, to be needed and wanted by those we love, is certainly the nearest we can come to happiness. - Mary Stuart

milla

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2016, 12:41:54 PM »
I found your post really interesting. I have a very good yoga teacher but I only work with her once a week; I have been thinking of having a few 1-1 sessions to find exactly what is right for me. My balance has always been very poor and I would like to improve it. It is great that you are feeling so well!