News: The Timeless Beauty is a forum for women over 40.
Chat with us about makeup, skin care, or whatever is on your mind.
Free and open membership. Never any ads. Privacy always respected.
Interested? Read here and/or here. Or just register!

Author Topic: Colour correcting primers  (Read 314 times)

milla

• Ageless Beauty
Colour correcting primers
« on: November 04, 2016, 10:52:27 AM »
I have been looking at some of these primers in the shops: the green ones are supposed to tone down redness, while the purple-lavender coloured ones are meant to give you a glow.  Years ago, I used to like a light-reflecting pre-foundation cream (I am sure it was by Revlon), but I have not used anything like that for ages it because I found that these creams with light reflecting particles actually highlight wrinkles; but the ones I saw in the shops recently  are matte. Has anyone tried them?

cara4art

• Ageless Beauty
Re: Colour correcting primers
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2016, 02:58:07 PM »
No help here - I've never used a primer myself. I've got enough going on with my Vitamin C serum, Cetaphil Cream and CeraVe AM SPF 30. I have however tested a few out on my hand - the matte ones are very siliconey, an odd kind of "slip" actually. Yes I agree that too much shine on the face does highlight wrinkles, but all-matte can make one look lifeless. For those that DO wear a primer, maybe something in the middle?

Styyna

• Ageless Beauty
  • "steena"
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2016, 08:12:56 AM »
I'm not much use either. I avoid as many layers of stuff as I can. Sunscreen and moisturizer (in one) is my go-to single layer.

That said, I did just order and receive Clinique's Moisture Surge CC Cream Hydrating Colour Corrector to try. Even though it purports to have broad spectrum SPF 30 I think I'll first try it over my moisturizer with SPF 30 as they recommend using it over a moisturizer for drier skin. They also say it can be used under foundation if looking for "full" coverage.

I just received it and had to leave town for a couple of days so haven't tried it yet. I'll report back when I do.
  • Complexion: NW10; slight rosacea; dry
  • Eyes: Blue-gray
  • Hair: Dark blonde with slight gray, thick, wavy, dry
To be kind to all, to like many and love a few, to be needed and wanted by those we love, is certainly the nearest we can come to happiness. - Mary Stuart

milla

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2016, 10:01:45 AM »
I have used a primer before, I think it was by Smashbox, but I found it a bit drying and then the assistant told me that I should set my make up with loose powder! The thing with make-up and skin care is: where do you stop? It seems that if you get a product then you need another one to complement it, and before you know it, you have layers and layers on your skin. However, I have been looking so grey and pasty lately (gone is the glow of summer) that I just want a little something to perk me up! Clinique do very good foundations and CC creams, so please let me know how you get on with your colour correcting CC cream!

Styyna

• Ageless Beauty
  • "steena"
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2016, 05:58:43 AM »
I still haven't tried my new CC cream. I have been rushed to get ready and haven't felt like adding another step into my routine during the past week or so. I'll report back when I try it though.
  • Complexion: NW10; slight rosacea; dry
  • Eyes: Blue-gray
  • Hair: Dark blonde with slight gray, thick, wavy, dry
To be kind to all, to like many and love a few, to be needed and wanted by those we love, is certainly the nearest we can come to happiness. - Mary Stuart