News: The Timeless Beauty is a forum for women over 40.
Chat with us about makeup, skin care, or whatever is on your mind.
Free and open membership. Never any ads. Privacy always respected.
Interested? Read here and/or here. Or just register!

Author Topic: Autumn scents  (Read 1944 times)

milla

• Ageless Beauty
Autumn scents
« on: November 17, 2016, 02:30:21 PM »

Now that the weather is getting colder I am wearing scent again. At the moment it is ‘Feminité du Bois’, last year’s Christmas present. It really feels good when you are wearing a woollen jumper.
Last week I went out in the evening and had a stroll around Covent Garden. In Penhaligon’s they had a diffuser wafting clouds of a marvellous scent. I was given a little sample; it is called Halfeti (please see below)
http://www.penhaligons.com/halfeti-eau-de-parfum/
It is absolutely gorgeous but the price is a bit steep, so I am not even considering buying it. Still, I have the sample and I am saving it for a special occasion.
Have you discovered any beautiful fragrances lately?

Styyna

• Ageless Beauty
  • "steena"
Re: Autumn scents
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2016, 06:07:54 PM »
I discovered Wildfox a few weeks ago and that's my autumn and winter scent for this year. I so seldom wear fragrance when I'm going out that all I need is one new one per year. I'm conscious of the fact that our sniffers can become less sensitive with age and I worry about offending people when I'm out. I make sure DH loves whatever I choose and I'm good to wear it at home.

I love the idea of having a desireable fragrance sample on hand for special occasions. When I purchased Wildfox I received a small zippered bag full of samples. I'll have to see if any of them would be nice for special occasions.
  • Complexion: NW10; slight rosacea; dry
  • Eyes: Blue-gray
  • Hair: Dark blonde with slight gray, thick, wavy, dry
To be kind to all, to like many and love a few, to be needed and wanted by those we love, is certainly the nearest we can come to happiness. - Mary Stuart

milla

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2016, 01:54:00 PM »
Wildfox? The name is so intriguing that I had to google it. This is what I found in Fragrantica:
‘Wildfox is a new fragrance for lovers, for skinny-dippers, for barefoot explorers and late-night chocolate eaters. For dreamers and for those who believe in themselves. It's a dreamy bouquet that charms with dewy white florals, intrigues with absinthe and incense, and captivates with the silky warmth of honey and musks. “
The composition opens with an unusual combination of absinthe, incense and apricot notes. The heart captures flowers of camellia, honeysuckle and jasmine. The base consists of ambrox, musk and honey.’
Sounds wonderful! Do you agree with it?

Styyna

• Ageless Beauty
  • "steena"
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2016, 02:07:16 PM »
I must confess to being such a novice that I'm using descriptions such as the one you found to learn about what I do and don't like in a fragrance. For example, I don't care for Wildfox at first so the first notes (top?) would appear to be some that I wouldn't ordinarily like. DH feels the same about it. But after it dries down and as it warms and mixes with my body chemistry we both love it. I think of it as a rich, almost earthy fragrance once it has settled. I'm guessing I respond positively to the floral and base notes in it. I'm not sure what ambrox is but I do like musk and honey.
To be kind to all, to like many and love a few, to be needed and wanted by those we love, is certainly the nearest we can come to happiness. - Mary Stuart

SusieQ

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2016, 08:03:57 PM »
I absolutely have no reason not to wear any scent since I drive to work now. But, after nearly a year at driving to work, I still don't wear any scent. :) I do cruise the scent section when I'm at Sephora or Ulta but nothing has caught my nose.  :wink:
  • Complexion: Medium/Combination
  • Eyes: Brown
  • Hair: Black w/waves

milla

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2016, 01:45:12 PM »
I went to another Penhaligon's shop today in a different part of town and I had to get another sample of Halfeti. I really love it but, at £156 I am not going to buy it. Not because I don't think it is worth it, it is just a matter of choice (I have other priorities).Today it was bright and cold. The right weather for wearing scent.

Styyna

• Ageless Beauty
  • "steena"
« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2016, 07:29:01 PM »
Your love of Penhaligon's Halfeti has me tempted to spend about $6 to get a sample from one of the sites that offers that sort of thing (The Perfumed Court). I really want to get a whiff of what this wondrous scent is all about!

milla

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2016, 04:50:56 AM »
I really hope it does not disappoint. It is a scent that could be worn by men as well as women; if you don't like oud and amber you might actually hate it! My sister in law, who loves floral scents said it smelt very nice on me and she would wear it... in the evening, which surprised me, because she does not like what she calls 'dark' scents!

Styyna

• Ageless Beauty
  • "steena"
« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2016, 10:19:33 AM »
What are some other favorite fragrances, everyone? If I'm going to order one I might as well get another two or three, especially since most of them aren't quite as expensive if my memory serves me correctly.

I'm pretty wide open to suggestions so lay your favorites on me!

milla

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2016, 02:49:12 PM »
Great idea, Styyna, I love talking about fragrance. Two of my Autumn/ Winter favourites have been reformulated and one of them is nothing like the original. I am talking about ‘Rive Gauche’. The other one is Serge Lutens Feminité du Bois, which has also been reformulated, but not as drastically as ‘Rive Gauche’. Here is a list of scents I like when the weather turns cold:
Mitsouko (of course), by Guerlain
Dolce Vita, by Christian Dior
Shalimar, by Guerlain (I have not worn it in years but I still
Carnal Flower by Frederic Malle
Sensuous by Estee Lauder
Cefiro by Floris (this one smells very nice all year round and it is light enough to wear in the Summer if it is not too hot)
I have tried two other Penhaligon fragrances recently; one is called  The Duke and the other, Empressa. I liked both, especially The Duke, which is meant to be a masculine scent! If you are intrigued,  you can find  a review here:
http://www.penhaligons.com/much-ado-about-the-duke-eau-de-parfum/

Styyna

• Ageless Beauty
  • "steena"
« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2016, 06:16:59 AM »
You have an impressive list of scents that you know and like. I'm going to look them up to understand what comprises each one and give a few a try!

Styyna

• Ageless Beauty
  • "steena"
« Reply #11 on: December 02, 2016, 12:47:20 PM »
I placed a small order for four samples.

Penhaligon's Halfeti
Dior Dolce Vita
Penhaligon's Iris Prima
Guerlain Mitsouko

At least two are EDP and the other(s) EDT. I ordered the more recent version of Mitsouko as I think if I like it that version will be easier to obtain and much less expensive than the vintage version (which reviews all raved about).

Can't wait to try them!

milla

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #12 on: December 02, 2016, 01:44:35 PM »
Today I went out for a coffee and I had  just a tiny drop of Mitsouko EDP on my wrists. The waitress complimented me on my scent! I was surprised, because she was very young and this type of scent in my experience does not appeal to younger women.
A perfume blog that I love is Bois de Jasmin. She writes beautifully about perfume.

Styyna

• Ageless Beauty
  • "steena"
« Reply #13 on: December 12, 2016, 10:06:12 PM »
So excited! My samples arrived today. The first one I tested was Penhaligon's Iris Prima and both DH and I love it! It's feminine and sensual but not too heavy. That was several hours ago and it has pretty much died down on the one wrist where I applied it.

I just tried Penhaligon's Halfeti on my other wrist and I love it, too! It's dramatically different from Iris Prima and I'm pretty certain DH (who's already asleep) wouldn't like it. I find it empowering, sensual, and invigorating.

Tomorrow I try Mitsouko and Dior Dolce Vita and I can't wait. Or maybe I can - what if I love all four? How will I ever choose just one?!

milla

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #14 on: December 13, 2016, 10:16:52 AM »
Mitsouko is not easy to wear. I love it but sometimes I don't wear it for ages... then I catch a whiff of it and tears come to my eyes! It is a kind of love affair.
 Tell me, what scents have you loved over the last...30-odd years? Which ones do you still love?