News: The Timeless Beauty is a forum for women over 40.
Chat with us about makeup, skin care, or whatever is on your mind.
Free and open membership. Never any ads. Privacy always respected.
Interested? Read here and/or here. Or just register!

Author Topic: are you trying a new dish, those of you celebrating Thanksgiving?  (Read 1108 times)

chataround

• Gold Member

I just finished caramelizing onions! They smell AMAZING. I found a Tyler Florence recipe for green beans with caramelized onions and almonds, and I think this will be a real treat.

To caramelize the onions I sliced two large yellow onions very thin and then used three tablespoons of unsalted butter and 5 tablespoons of olive oil and heated that in a skillet. Tossed in my onions, some salt and pepper, and gave them 25 minutes of the stovetop. I am told that they will reheat beautifully. I'm looking forward to tasting them. I will make the green beans and toast the almonds on the day of.

How about you, what are you making?
  • Complexion: very fair, some slight rosacea
  • Eyes: hazel
  • Hair: slightly wavy, shoulder length, soft black
"Taking joy in living is a woman's best cosmetic."
                   - Rosalind Russell

Styyna

• Ageless Beauty
  • "steena"
Re: are you trying a new dish, those of you celebrating Thanksgiving?
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2016, 03:49:45 PM »
DH and I are hosting my family this year and we're going all out. We're roasting two turkeys so there are leftovers to send home with anyone who wants them. DH is making mounds of mashed potatoes. I'm making sweet potato casserole, stuffing, roasted butternut squash with goat cheese and pecans, cranberry sauce, three pies (apple, pumpkin, pecan), and gravy. My DIL is bringing green bean casserole. My SIL is bringing deviled eggs and DH is making stuffed mushrooms to go with the eggs and some crudités and hummus for appetizers while watching football games. Add wine and beer and other beverages and I think that covers it.

The sweet potato casserole and roasted butternut squash are new recipes for me. And I'm still a novice at making pie crust so that's pretty new to me, too.
  • Complexion: NW10; slight rosacea; dry
  • Eyes: Blue-gray
  • Hair: Dark blonde with slight gray, thick, wavy, dry
To be kind to all, to like many and love a few, to be needed and wanted by those we love, is certainly the nearest we can come to happiness. - Mary Stuart

SusieQ

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2016, 08:05:39 PM »
Oh yum!  We had our office potluck and I baked a pecan pie with bourbon..adding the bourbon is new to me and I have to say it was really good. Better, was the common review by my coworkers.  :lol:
  • Complexion: Medium/Combination
  • Eyes: Brown
  • Hair: Black w/waves

milla

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2016, 01:51:16 PM »
Roasted butternut squash with goat cheese sounds absolutely yummy and I would not mind having the recipe, if poss. I love pecan pie and I have never had it with bourbon; again if you don't mind sharing the recipe... :)
I have not tried anything new lately; tonight I am doing grilled fish cutlets with new potatoes and green beans and tomorrow I am going to do a pork casserole with mushrooms and crème fraiche sauce. We have ordered our Christmas turkey!

Styyna

• Ageless Beauty
  • "steena"
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2016, 07:27:33 PM »
I sent a PM to milla asking for her email address. Anyone else who might be interested in the butternut squash recipe, just send me a PM with your email address and I'm happy to send it to you!

I've never had pecan pie with bourbon either. Does the bourbon make a noticeable difference? I'm a Scotch person myself, that's why I ask.
  • Complexion: NW10; slight rosacea; dry
  • Eyes: Blue-gray
  • Hair: Dark blonde with slight gray, thick, wavy, dry
To be kind to all, to like many and love a few, to be needed and wanted by those we love, is certainly the nearest we can come to happiness. - Mary Stuart