News: The Timeless Beauty is a forum for women over 40.
Chat with us about makeup, skin care, or whatever is on your mind.
Free and open membership. Never any ads. Privacy always respected.
Interested? Read here and/or here. Or just register!

Author Topic: Hair serum  (Read 2194 times)

milla

• Ageless Beauty
Hair serum
« on: November 22, 2016, 09:10:08 AM »
Since I stopped colouring my hair, I find that I need a richer conditioner to stop it going frizzy. I love the grey and people have complimented me on my hair colour (it seems that grey is the new black  :grin:), but it is quite dry and I have been growing it. I would like to try a serum, but I have got no idea what to buy. Any ideas?

cara4art

• Ageless Beauty
Re: Hair serum
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2016, 04:32:46 PM »
Try DEEP moisturizing conditioning at least once a week. Grey hair is indeed drier than naturally-pigmented hair. Just using a richer conditioner otherwise isn't quite enough. Some deep conditioning masks come in jars, others in tubes, as they tend to be thicker than regular moisturizing conditioners. Also, don't overlook protein in masks as well, because grey hair can also be lacking in structural proteins. Sometimes it takes a mask that has both. To get maximum benefit from a deep-conditioning treatment some people recommend applying heat like a heat cap and leaving the treatment on for a half-hour at least. I don't do the heat thing myself but just leave it on for that half-hour, or more. On the diet side, be sure you're getting in some healthy fats as well as sufficient protein - this does affect hair quality as well. I don't know if you have this in London, but L'Oreal Damage Erasing Balm is excellent, as well as Neutrogena's Triple Moisture treatment that comes in a jar. Even though grey hair isn't color-treated, it does have moisture and protein needs. As far as hair serums go, I have no experience with those. Hope this helps!:)

milla

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2016, 05:18:30 PM »
I have not thought of using a mask but perhaps I should give it a try. In the past I have not used masks a lot, because they can weigh your hair down; however, I don’t think that I will have that problem now, as my hair is quite dry. I have googled the L’Oreal mask you mention; could not find it, but sometimes products are sold by different names in the UK. I found this one, which I will try:
 http://www.boots.com/en/LOreal-Hair-Expertise-Ever-Riche-SuperSmooth-Mask-Pot-200ml_1308173/
Thanks for the advice!

cara4art

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2016, 01:13:38 PM »
I think you would be pleasantly surprised at the great effects of using a hair mask aka deep treatment now, what with the very dry hair. Yes, I do know that L'Oreal, as well as other large manufacturers have products under different names and lines in Europe, Latin America, Mexico, etc. The one you depicted might be a great start for you - give it a go once a week and don't be afraid to leave it on for awhile.:) Some people, in addition to deep treatments once or more per week depending on just how often one washes one's hair, have good luck with a lightweight hair oil to seal moisture in after shampooing and conditioning. I think L'Oreal makes one - over here it's called Extraordinary Oil, or one can use a little straight argan oil, also good for hair. Best of luck!:)

milla

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2016, 04:04:05 PM »
Thanks again. I think I will try the mask first before the oil. I am trying to grow my hair, which makes it even drier. I miss having long hair. Don't care what they say about over 60s ...long hair...blah blah blah. Just want to give it a try. If I don't like it, I will have it cut, simple as that.

Styyna

• Ageless Beauty
  • "steena"
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2016, 09:41:29 PM »
I know nothing about deep conditioning or hair serums but I have to stick my oar in and say "Go for it, Milla!" I've seen beautiful women with beautiful long gray hair, women in their 50's, 60's and beyond. If I had lots of gray hair I'd be tempted to endure the in-between stages and grow it long. I hope you like yours when it's long. :)
  • Complexion: NW10; slight rosacea; dry
  • Eyes: Blue-gray
  • Hair: Dark blonde with slight gray, thick, wavy, dry
To be kind to all, to like many and love a few, to be needed and wanted by those we love, is certainly the nearest we can come to happiness. - Mary Stuart

cara4art

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2016, 10:35:34 AM »
@milla: Yes, the deep conditioner will make a difference as you grow your hair longer. One doesn't have to pay attention to rules that say that one should do this or that as one gets older - it's so individual. You won't know until you see how your hair looks longer. One mistake that many women make with longer hair when older is not trimming it along the way to make it look better while it's growing. It can look scraggly if one doesn't. Then again, for some women, shorter hair IS better. Again, it's individual like Styyna indicates with some 50s and 60s women with beautiful long hair.:) Yes I agree that adding the mask is your best bet right now. Another thing that might be contributing to dryness is the fact that you did go through treatments earlier that do often leave lasting effects on the body generally, so it's also not surprising one can have some dry hair, as well as skin, going on. Plus the fact that none of us are getting any younger LOL! Best of luck!:)
@Styyna: Just about anyone can benefit from deep conditioning - even if one's hair is not colored, greying, or all white hair IS drier than younger, virgin-colored hair, and often structural protein. A great cheap mask at the drugstore that I use regularly and still would if at any time I decided to go grey(not anytime soon)is L'Oreal's Advanced Hair Care Total Repair 5 Damage Erasing Balm. I use the corresponding shampoo and conditioner as well the rest of the time. Sales often happen on L'Oreal - sometimes that mask is only $5.99. You know I don't like having too too many products in general, but a deep conditioner once a week or so(depending on how often one washes one's hair)really does make a difference once one finds a good one that one likes. In the L'Oreal Advanced Hair Care line-up, there's a newer combo I might try, the Extraordinary line for Curls that includes shampoo, conditioner and deep conditioning mask.

milla

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2016, 05:21:54 AM »
Cara, I have considered having   my hair trimmed, but I just want a quarter of  an inch off, and if I go to the hairdresser  now she will just go scissor-happy and cut a lot more than that. So I am just going to use the mask for the time being and when it is a bit longer I might venture into the hairdresser. Yesterday a very aloof sales assistant (I haven’t met her kind for a while…) told me that the best product was Philip Kingsley’s Elasticizer; I have tried it several times and it did not do anything for me. She told me that I was not using it properly; apparently you have massage it in your hair and then leave it overnight. Would you go to sleep with your hair covered in cream???

cara4art

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2016, 11:55:35 AM »
@milla: From what you describe with your hair cutter, I can't blame you for wanting to hold off on that trim. When I was in my 20s I had an awful experience that way - I had grown my hair to just below shoulders, and wanted only a half-inch trimmed off. Well, this cutter, before I could stop it whatsoever, cut 6 inches off my hair right up to my EARS in an unflattering cut besides.:( I didn't let ANYONE with scissors near my hair for a full year and a half after that. About having stuff in one's hair at night, I've never done that but I do know that some people do indeed leave deep treatments in their hair overnight, usually wearing some sort of cap to seal everything in and not have it get all over the place. Best of luck!:)

SusieQ

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2016, 07:56:38 PM »
Hi Milla, you can also use coconut oil and leave on while you are doing housework. If you don't have time and want to leave it on for 1/2 hour only..after you put on the coconut oil wrap your hair in plastic and then a towel. I've tried this method many times and I haven't cut my hair in over a year and no split ends. I do need a cut because it's too, too long.
  • Complexion: Medium/Combination
  • Eyes: Brown
  • Hair: Black w/waves

milla

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #10 on: November 26, 2016, 01:39:36 PM »
How long is too, too long ? mine is just touching my shoulders.

cara4art

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #11 on: November 26, 2016, 05:47:04 PM »
"Too long" is relative to each person, so it's different for everyone. Again, don't let anyone tell one that it's AGE that determines how long hair should be. It's more one's overall look, features, type of hair one has to begin with, and lifestyle. However, "too long" can also mean that it's really time for a trim as the ends are unmanageable and the whole haircut has lost its shape, whatever length that is. Hope that helps!:)

Styyna

• Ageless Beauty
  • "steena"
« Reply #12 on: November 26, 2016, 07:31:04 PM »
I totally agree with Cara. Too long is when it's too long for you, not anyone else. I've seen women with very long gray hair who put it up in a messy bun a lot of the time and leave strands flowing - beautiful! Enjoy your hair the way you want to!
  • Complexion: NW10; slight rosacea; dry
  • Eyes: Blue-gray
  • Hair: Dark blonde with slight gray, thick, wavy, dry
To be kind to all, to like many and love a few, to be needed and wanted by those we love, is certainly the nearest we can come to happiness. - Mary Stuart

milla

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #13 on: November 27, 2016, 04:44:09 AM »
I have bought the mask and I've got it on. I've wrapped my hair in cling film and I am wearing a woollen beret. Very stylish! I am not going out today, so I can wear it around the house while I am doing the chores!

silverstreak

• Silver Member
« Reply #14 on: December 05, 2016, 10:22:45 AM »
I have not thought of using a mask but perhaps I should give it a try. In the past I have not used masks a lot, because they can weigh your hair down; however, I don’t think that I will have that problem now, as my hair is quite dry. I have googled the L’Oreal mask you mention; could not find it, but sometimes products are sold by different names in the UK. I found this one, which I will try:
 http://www.boots.com/en/LOreal-Hair-Expertise-Ever-Riche-SuperSmooth-Mask-Pot-200ml_1308173/
Thanks for the advice!

I use the Pro Naturals hair repair mask once a week, it contains argan oil. I find it keeps my hair really smooth & silky. My hair really shines white with a few shades of grey!
  • Complexion: olive
  • Eyes: brown
  • Hair: white & grey, straight but coarse & thick.
silverstreak