News: The Timeless Beauty is a forum for women over 40.
Chat with us about makeup, skin care, or whatever is on your mind.
Free and open membership. Never any ads. Privacy always respected.
Interested? Read here and/or here. Or just register!

Author Topic: Hair serum  (Read 1796 times)

Amelia Brown

Re: Hair serum
« Reply #15 on: August 12, 2017, 06:15:16 AM »
I had the same problem, though I have never coloured my hair. I tried different shampoos and conditioners, but nothing worked. Entirely by accident I found an article about the best hair products for this summer (https://therighthairstyles.com/best-hair-products/). There was a living proof satin hair serum among other products, and I decided to try it. I was really surprised of the result. My hair became soft and smooth. Of course, I make DIY masks, but sometimes I don't have enough time for this, and the serum helps me to take care of my hair every day. I hope it helps!

milla

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #16 on: August 14, 2017, 04:44:33 AM »
Amelia, thank you for re-visiting this post. Hair is a major issue for us ladies, because if we get it right, everything looks better! here in the UK, I have seen this range (Living Proof) in two shops; one of them was Space NK, which sells higher end products, not always marvellous, but very often quite expensive. I am always a bit cautious with products that cost a bit more than what I usually spend. I would not mind splashing out once in a while if I was sure it was going to make a difference, but how is one to know without trying? Especially when the reviews vary from 'wonderful' to 'awful' I have checked the reviews on the Living proof hair serum on the Space NK sight and that is precisely the case. Lately I have been using the Pantene Age Defy range (Shampoo and conditioner) and alternating it with a 'blue' shampoo that is meant to keep the grey silver grey (not yellow grey). I have also given up on the long hair, because it really does not suit me. I have a trim every 4-6 weeks. I like my hairdresser and the price is still very reasonable. Any other views on hair, ie style and products?

cara4art

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #17 on: August 14, 2017, 10:20:18 AM »
In the last month I did try the L'Oreal combo for curls(the Extraordinary Oil Curls shampoo, conditioner, and corresponding mask). My hair was "just OK" with it, but my scalp was definitely not. Something in those products irritated my scalp something awful, and it got worse each time, as it wasn't that bad in the beginning.:( It kinda snuck up on me. Scurried right back to the L'Oreal Total Repair 5 combo that I'd been using and was fine with for a few years. Thing is, there were all kinds of great reviews for the curl collection, with only an odd one along the way from people who were not impressed. I really did have to discard the bottles and the jar, with barely half of the products used, as I don't know anyone to give them to. Moral of the story - just because something gets great reviews from someone with similar hair, or skin that matter, doesn't mean that it will work for one! One NEW product that I added, which is a styling product, HAS worked out for me - the Cantu Curl Activator Cream which I apply a little of before my cheap get(LA Looks) The curl activator cream really does bring out curls more and the gel holds them. Great for people with looser, mixed curl patterns like what I have!:) I got the Cantu product at the drugstore in the "natural"(African American)hair care section. I had read a review by someone who has similar hair who had good luck with it, and it works for me.:) So you never know!:)

milla

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #18 on: August 15, 2017, 12:51:07 PM »
That is true, Cara. A few years ago I decided to buy a so-called ‘cult’ cleanser, that is still getting great reviews everywhere. Well, I am one of the few women who had a very strong allergic reaction to this product and my skin isn’t even that sensitive. I wish some of the mid-range and expensive products came in smaller, cheaper versions so that you could try them without having to spend £££.
From what you have told us over the years about your hair, I am not surprised that you have found a good product in the ethnic section. At the moment, I am quite pleased with the Pantene and I still have loads of both the shampoo and the conditioner. When I finish the bottles I might give the Phyto range a try (I have had a couple of samples and I liked it).

cara4art

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #19 on: August 16, 2017, 10:16:38 AM »
@milla: which "cult" cleanser was it, that you were allergic to? Just curious!:) About the finding stuff in the ethnic hair care section, those of us with mixed-texture looser curl patterns have to be careful because a lot of the products are heavier and better for kinkier hair types. None the less, there are some gems to be found. A woman with similar hair as mine over on MUA gave the Cantu product a rave, and the idea sounded great. Since it's pretty cheap if it didn't work I wasn't out a lot of money, but it turned out to be a real keeper.:) Since one only uses a little bit, like less than a coin-sized blob, that bottle will last a long time.:) Usually my very thick hair just laughs at a coin-sized blob of anything but this scrunches really easily through wet hair(post shampoo+conditioner)before scrunching gel.:)

milla

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #20 on: August 16, 2017, 12:26:46 PM »
The cleanser is called Liz Earle Cleanse and Polish Hot Cloth Cleanser (see below):
http://uk.lizearle.com/cleanse-tone-moisturise/cleanse-and-polish-hot-cloth-cleanser.html?ingredients
It is not prohibitively expensive and it is a great favourite here in the UK; as you can see it gets great reviews. In fact, most reviewers think it is wonderful, but there are a few people who had an allergic reaction, very similar to what happen to me. Raised red bumps, that looked and hurt like burns. :(
Cara is this the hair product you bought?
https://www.superdrug.com/Natural-Haircare/Shea-Moisture/Shea-Moisture-Coconut-Curl-Enhancing-Smoothie-326ml/p/708626?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIysTpsaPc1QIV5CnTCh2JSgSNEAQYAyABEgKfiPD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds&dclid=CJOc29Cj3NUCFcKsUQod5F0M2A
it looks like it is also available in the UK.

cara4art

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #21 on: August 16, 2017, 01:23:12 PM »
@milla: Thanks for the reply - hadn't heard of the Liz Earle product, as I tend to stick with simple drugstore products plus one Rx and a simple serum from an online vitamin retailer. The Shea Moisture product you linked isn't the one I'm using but I did take a look in our drugstores along the way. Only recently did they come out with a 3 or so ounce tube of it rather than the tub. If indeed I try this product I'd go with the tube first. Anyhow, here's the link to the Cantu product that I use: https://www.amazon.com/Cantu-Shea-Butter-Moisturizing-Activator/dp/B009AZ3WH4