News: The Timeless Beauty is a forum for women over 40.
Chat with us about makeup, skin care, or whatever is on your mind.
Free and open membership. Never any ads. Privacy always respected.
Interested? Read here and/or here. Or just register!

Author Topic: Skin check by derm  (Read 307 times)

Styyna

• Ageless Beauty
  • "steena"
Skin check by derm
« on: December 02, 2016, 06:29:40 AM »
I think it was ILuvLucy who had a skin check recently and reminded me that I needed to do the same. Am I ever glad I went! I have four places, one on my face, that are worthy of watching. It's quite likely that none of them will develop into something of real concern but if any of them do they will be caught early enough to be excised easily and before they spread.

I also learned two new things: Melanoma can form in the skin between the toes and it can develop in vaginal tissue. Now the derm didn't check for it in my vagina and said it's quite rare but said at my next gyno appointment to mention it to the doctor so she can check for it.

Moral of my story: Especially if, like me, you worshipped the sun in your teens out of ignorance of the dangers doing so posed, get a full body derm check before you think you have anything of concern. I feel a sense of relief even knowing what I do. Right now I'm okay and if one or more spots develops into cancer it will be caught very early. So do it. It's easy and doesn't take very long. Insurance covered it and now I have a derm so if I have other concerns I can consult him.
  • Complexion: NW10; slight rosacea; dry
  • Eyes: Blue-gray
  • Hair: Dark blonde with slight gray, thick, wavy, dry
To be kind to all, to like many and love a few, to be needed and wanted by those we love, is certainly the nearest we can come to happiness. - Mary Stuart

milla

• Ageless Beauty
Re: Skin check by derm
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2016, 01:49:01 PM »
Despite my years of basking in the sun, I don’t seem to have anything other than a little pigmentation on my right cheek, but I agree with you . Fair skinned people are particularly at risk.