News: The Timeless Beauty is a forum for women over 40.
Chat with us about makeup, skin care, or whatever is on your mind.
Free and open membership. Never any ads. Privacy always respected.
Interested? Read here and/or here. Or just register!

Author Topic: Gardening  (Read 552 times)

milla

• Ageless Beauty
Gardening
« on: December 08, 2016, 11:02:35 AM »
I had a sudden burst of energy this afternoon; maybe I needed to get the Christmas shopping madness out of my system,  maybe it was just because I woke up early today to do a bit of yoga, I don't know... I spent a couple of hours in the garden raking dead leaves. I managed to fill six big bags before calling it a day!
I think I deserve a cup of hot chocolate (no marshmallows!). Have you done any gardening lately?

Styyna

• Ageless Beauty
  • "steena"
Re: Gardening
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2016, 07:59:02 AM »
Late catching up...it is snowing here with about 7" on the ground and another 3" still to come. Yay! That means, of course, that all gardening is over for the season. DH and I will be taking turns using the snowblower instead! Unfortunately it has gotten quite cold with lows below 0F forecast in coming days.

A cup of hot cocoa sounds lovely...I have to earn it though.
  • Complexion: NW10; slight rosacea; dry
  • Eyes: Blue-gray
  • Hair: Dark blonde with slight gray, thick, wavy, dry
To be kind to all, to like many and love a few, to be needed and wanted by those we love, is certainly the nearest we can come to happiness. - Mary Stuart

milla

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2016, 10:56:14 AM »
0F is seriously cold. A couple of weeks ago the thermometer went down to 37F, but now it is very mild, with temperatures reaching 53F during the day. Up North and in Scotland is a different picture, of course, but nothing like 0F. Forget about gardening! As for hot chocolate, I think that you are more than entitled to a cup if you managed to go out of the door today.
We have not seen snow in London for a few years. I would love to see it, even though it always creates havoc…

Styyna

• Ageless Beauty
  • "steena"
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2016, 10:18:38 PM »
We discovered that our snowblower is not up to the task of clearing our driveway. DH went out for about 20 minutes and came in gasping for breath. When I suggested I should take a turn he just shook his head and said that the machine was just spinning near the top of the drive. We hired someone to clear it for us. I must say, he did it in half the time it would have taken us (he had a much bigger snowblower) and that includes the time he spent getting his truck and trailer pulled out of our yard where he landed after sliding upon turning in.

So no hot cocoa for me yet. I almost earned it today. I went out in -5F to the gym to exercise but then I spent most of the day studying which didn't burn any calories. We have lots of cold weather this week though so I'm sure to earn it soon.
To be kind to all, to like many and love a few, to be needed and wanted by those we love, is certainly the nearest we can come to happiness. - Mary Stuart

milla

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2016, 10:09:18 AM »
-5F is not just merely cold; it is really most sincerely cold. Have that hot chocolate for goodness sake. You were wise to get someone to clear the snow for you. Today the weather is mild an drizzly here and I am trying to get things ready for next week. My daughter, her partner and little boy are coming on the 22nd and I cannot wait to see them! I have booked a hairdresser's appointment for my daughter on the 23rd. She does not have a lot of money or time to look after herself and I want to spoil her a bit this Christmas. :wink:

Styyna

• Ageless Beauty
  • "steena"
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2016, 03:01:10 PM »
You are so kind and thoughtful. I'm sure your daughter will love a little pampering courtesy of her mother! What a thrill to have them visit. They are from Belgium, correct?

As for hiring the snow blowing done, it was definitely a good thing. Yesterday at the doctor it was confirmed that DH has COPD (chronic obstructive pulmonary disease) primarily in the form of emphysema from years of smoking. Thank goodness he quit when he did or it would be worse. I've suspected he had that for a few years, having been through it with my mother.

As for that hot cocoa, as soon as we get more milk I'm going for it!

SusieQ

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2016, 08:17:15 PM »
I just can't imagine -5F.  We've hit high 20s in the evening when I an tucked away all nice and warm.  We are rather spoiled but we do pay for it. Keep warm ladies!
  • Complexion: Medium/Combination
  • Eyes: Brown
  • Hair: Black w/waves

Styyna

• Ageless Beauty
  • "steena"
« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2017, 07:22:56 AM »
Getting back to gardening...for Christmas I got DH an indoor garden from Aerogrow. It comes with herb seeds so that's what he will start out with. We like to cook with fresh herbs so it should go over well.

I thought about getting him started with orchids but that seemed a little presumptuous to start him out with. The Aerogrow garden comes with everything needed and even tells him via his iPhone when it needs food and/or water. At least I have him starting to grow things down in his space.

milla

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2017, 07:45:51 AM »
I can see some bulbs poking out of the ground...always a very promising sight. No snowdrops yet... I will have to get out there and prune the roses soon.

Styyna

• Ageless Beauty
  • "steena"
« Reply #9 on: January 01, 2017, 08:06:55 AM »
I love hearing about your bulbs poking their heads out of the ground just as we are entering the coldest part of winter. Your bulbs remind me that spring isn't far away.

Amelia Brown

« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2017, 01:18:16 PM »
I love hearing about your bulbs poking their heads out of the ground just as we are entering the coldest part of winter. Your bulbs remind me that spring isn't far away.

Yes, I look forward for a spring! This is my favourite time of the year! When everything blooms I'm in high spirits and feel better.

milla

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2017, 02:04:39 PM »
Well, after that burst of energy I have not done any work in the garden. I am thinking of getting some professional help in Spring. However, today I finally managed to take a photo of the fox who visits my garden every morning. Here he is, totally brazen, on my neighbours' fence!

Styyna

• Ageless Beauty
  • "steena"
« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2017, 03:20:15 PM »
That's an amazing picture of the fox on the fence! Brazen is the right word.

As for hiring professional garden help, I highly recommend it. Last fall we hired a couple of guys to come and prepare our yard and gardens for winter and they did in a couple of hours what would have taken us a couple of days, including hauling away the debris. They had all the right equipment and muscles to make short work of it. And it wasn't very expensive.

In fact, these are the same guys that clear our snow from our driveway and sidewalk for us. They work for a small mom and pop company that does all kinds of work in and around houses. We have vaulted ceilings in our living room and kitchen and I hated to turn the lights on because I had no idea how we'd ever get up there to change the bulbs but these guys have ladders for that sort of thing and it's no big deal for them. Same with changing the batteries in the smoke/CO detectors that are on the ceilings. I feel so good about knowing of a reliable company to turn to for all these miscellaneous things! I hope you find someone equally reliable and reasonable!