News: The Timeless Beauty is a forum for women over 40.
Chat with us about makeup, skin care, or whatever is on your mind.
Free and open membership. Never any ads. Privacy always respected.
Interested? Read here and/or here. Or just register!

Author Topic: Winter has arrived!  (Read 202 times)

Styyna

• Ageless Beauty
  • "steena"
Winter has arrived!
« on: December 15, 2016, 12:51:30 PM »
I love winters in Minnesota! I love having four distinct seasons and I love all of them but winter has a special place in my heart. It's quiet, reflective, beautiful (mostly), and exciting all at once.

We received over seven inches of snow with our last storm and now we have sub-zero temperatures sprinkled all over the forecast for a few days along with another big snowstorm headed our way. Once the six to ten inches of snow have arrived we will have a day or two of extreme cold before temperatures moderate into the teens and twenties. Just in time for a lovely, white Christmas!

It helps me love winter knowing that we no longer have to clear the snow ourselves. Our driveway is more than our snowblower can handle so we had no choice but to hire someone to do it for us. Fortunately they are quite affordable.

I'm not really keen on driving in the winter but having a car with all wheel drive makes it a little less scary and the roads that we live on and travel are all major arteries that are regularly plowed, even during storms.

We have a bird feeder hanging from our deck where squirrels can't reach it, along with a heated bird bath. Cardinals, chickadees, and other assorted birds frequent our deck throughout the day and add a cheery feel to the immediate out of doors. There is some kind of huge owl that has been sitting in the trees at the edge of our lot. We're not sure why he's out during the day. Perhaps hunting at night has been difficult with the fresh snow. No sign yet of deer or wild turkeys though the previous owner assured us we would see both in the backyard.

I love winter!
  • Complexion: NW10; slight rosacea; dry
  • Eyes: Blue-gray
  • Hair: Dark blonde with slight gray, thick, wavy, dry
To be kind to all, to like many and love a few, to be needed and wanted by those we love, is certainly the nearest we can come to happiness. - Mary Stuart

milla

• Ageless Beauty
Re: Winter has arrived!
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2016, 02:36:25 PM »
I love Winter, but there is no chance of snow here at the moment, not even a tiny dusting of snow. If we did have snow, it would be chaos, because we are not prepared for it. I think the last time we had snow was...4 years ago? schools closed, there were traffic jams...pathetic.

Styyna

• Ageless Beauty
  • "steena"
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2016, 05:21:24 PM »
All of my teen years were spent in Alabama, one of the southern states of the US, and snow was so rare that it was much as you described. Schools closed and traffic was terrible but, in all fairness, they weren't equipped to deal with snow and ice since it was so rare. Our family was in hot demand when there was enough to use the toboggan that we inexplicably moved with us.

In the fall I remember that wool clothing was reserved until the temperature dropped below 65. As a teen who loved the seasons, I couldn't wait for that drop. I don't know if adults adhered to the same "rule" but definitely my peers did.

I missed Minnesota winters something fierce when we lived there and again when I lived in San Francisco for a year. There were good things about living in those places, especially San Francisco, but I was always delighted to return to Minnesota again.
  • Complexion: NW10; slight rosacea; dry
  • Eyes: Blue-gray
  • Hair: Dark blonde with slight gray, thick, wavy, dry
To be kind to all, to like many and love a few, to be needed and wanted by those we love, is certainly the nearest we can come to happiness. - Mary Stuart

milla

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2016, 07:21:00 AM »
Like you, I love seasons. I find unseasonal weather a bit disconcerting, especially mild/hot weather in Winter (although I do like an Indian Summer in late Autumn... a week of lovely sunsets and mild weather just before the onset of Winter is great!)
 I cope with cold much better than with heat. After living in the UK for over 40 years, people still ask me if I miss the hot weather in Portugal! l grew up in and around Lisbon; in the Summer it can get very hot, but it is a dry heat, which is a lot more bearable than the humid heat that we experience here, in London. 

ILuvLucy

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2016, 08:17:23 AM »
We certainly get our share of snow every winter, & you can add to that - freezing rain & sleet as well.  I mostly view winter weather as something we have to "get through".  I worry constantly about my kids driving on slippery, icey roads.
We've been fairly lucky so far- not too much snow. Right now there's a few inches on the ground, but it's supposed to warm up & rain.
THen there's the guy who plows....$75 each time he comes.  It's a bargain, as we have a loooong driveway.  You cannot see my house from the road. My neighbor pitches in another $75.

We have a bird feeder too.  It's right outside my kitchen windows, attached to our deck.  I love watching the birds.  We don't have it out in the warmer weather, but as soon as it gets really cold, the birds seem to remember & start to come looking for the feeder.  I think we've finally found a feeder that the squirrels won't bother!  Only once in a while now, will I see one trying to get some sunflower seeds. (Drives my dogs crazy 😜).  We don't have a heated water source for the birds, but I try to keep a big dog bowl filled to the brim with water outside for them.  Unfortunately, it's been freezing right up, so every morning, I put warm water in it and try again.  Also, we have a little suet cage for them.

All that said, I do agree that the snow looks pretty,  & it doesn't really feel like Christmas without it, BUT just a few inches is fine with me, please! Haha.
By now you know me, & know that I borrow worry (will the oil truck not make it to my house?, will my kids insist on driving?, etc. etc. ) ,  & I let these concerns outweigh the loveliness of the view outside.
  • Complexion: Light/Medium
  • Eyes: Blue
  • Hair: Blonde/Thin/Straight
"A mysterious expression will add a lovely sheen to your complexion" --Nancy Drew in The Clue of the Velvet Mask

milla

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2016, 12:27:54 PM »
We also have a squirrel-proof bird-feeder but I would love to have a proper bird table with a bird bath. The trouble is, there are loads of cats about and they pounce on the birds. The squirrels can be quite funny:  they try to get the seeds in the bird-feeder, they do all sorts of acrobatics and then go away in a huff!
Today it was very foggy and damp. It was quite eerie in the morning. We put the Christmas tree up yesterday and  it brightens our living room, which is a bit dark at this time of the year.
IIlucy, I also worry about my children, and they are both over 30, with families of their own. My daughter is coming over from Belgium next week and, although I would never mention it to my husband, I am already worrying about them travelling at this time of the year. Yet I use the tube almost everyday and it does not worry me at all.