News: The Timeless Beauty is a forum for women over 40.
Chat with us about makeup, skin care, or whatever is on your mind.
Free and open membership. Never any ads. Privacy always respected.
Interested? Read here and/or here. Or just register!

Author Topic: Shopping for clothes with men!  (Read 247 times)

milla

• Ageless Beauty
Shopping for clothes with men!
« on: December 17, 2016, 01:02:46 PM »
My DH hates clothes shopping. He is, in fact, a very generous man and he has good taste, but he becomes a mean Scrooge when it comes to buying clothes for himself. He will happily do the food shopping every week,   but the thought of going out to buy a pair a trousers or a sweater makes him shudder. I don’t particularly like shopping for clothes with him because he is a bit like a sulky teenager! Consequently I buy must of his clothes. As he has no idea how much things cost (and would have a fit if he knew), I don’t tell him ; but of course he finds out when he gets the bank statement and he is completely outraged when he realises that, say, a shirt costs considerably more than it did when he was 20!
What really annoys me is that he knows what suits him and he looks good in nice clothes (well, at least, I think he does!)
Anyone in the same predicament? I mean, do you buy your husbands’ clothes?

Styyna

• Ageless Beauty
  • "steena"
Re: Shopping for clothes with men!
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2016, 11:10:23 AM »
Yes, yes, yes! My DH hates clothes shopping, heck, he even hates wearing clothes. Most days he is in a shirt and his underwear around the house. He got caught the other day when someone stopped over to drop off a book for me. It was easy to see inside to where DH jumped up and ran in his skivvies to the bedroom to throw on clothes.

I do all his shopping but he's very particular and truly will only wear shirts with pockets and jeans. No casual pants for him, no t-shirts, no sweaters. I even have to pick out his shirts to wear when we're going out because he'll just grab one with holes in the elbows if that's the closest clean shirt. He doesn't own a suit so would have to buy or rent one should the need arise.

He worked for himself most of his adult life, owning and operating a computer software company. Everything was done online, or over the phone in the early days. Dressing up was never a requirement. Once his software package was established so that he could do improvements and bug fixes himself he downsized and worked from home for the rest of his business life where he acquired his current lack-of-dress habits.

Like you, Milla, I think DH looks fabulous when he dresses up (I saw him in a suit for his father's funeral). I'd love to see more of that but, as in any relationship, one must pick their battles carefully if at all.
  • Complexion: NW10; slight rosacea; dry
  • Eyes: Blue-gray
  • Hair: Dark blonde with slight gray, thick, wavy, dry
To be kind to all, to like many and love a few, to be needed and wanted by those we love, is certainly the nearest we can come to happiness. - Mary Stuart

milla

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2016, 11:07:33 AM »
My DH wears mostly polo shirts  and tracksuit bottoms or jeans. He will wear things until they apart unless I intervene. He owns two suits: a dark one  for weddings and funerals  and a light linen one (which I bought)  to take abroad on holidays or for less formal occasions. This winter he has been wearing an anorak/parka type of thing; in my view, this should be consigned to the recycling bin (I would not even consider taking it to the charity shop) but he says it is lovely and comfortable and perfectly fine; he has a  good, knee length coat that is just right for the weather,  but he doesn't wear it. Don't ask me why!
When my DH started teaching in ’71, male teachers were expected to wear a suit and tie. The dress code in schools is a bit more relaxed now, but he always went to work in a suit, so now that he is retired he just wants  to dress casually.
I suppose I was always attracted to casual dressers… A long, long time ago I had a boyfriend who was the opposite: he liked expensive shirts and suits and always wore a cashmere overcoat in winter; but I left him for a jeans and t-shirt man! Well, I have nothing against casual dressing. Your clothes should be comfortable and suit your lifestyle. But I like quality, I don't wear things until they fall apart, and I like to dress up when I go out. As for my DH, he will wear the same thing to go to the shops and to go to a restaurant.
However, I do agree that you must pick your battles carefully and I have learnt that  it is not worth making a big song and dance about what he wears, because he is not going to change...

Styyna

• Ageless Beauty
  • "steena"
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2016, 11:36:23 AM »
Maybe I spoke too soon! DH and I were chatting this morning and I mentioned that he really could use a pair of pants that are nicer than jeans but I couldn't order any for him because I don't know his current size. He pointed to a pair of jeans that he wore yesterday and said that they fit him perfectly. I take that response to mean that if I get him the pants he will wear them. Maybe a little progress was made today!

I understand how someone who wore a suit for work everyday would appreciate more casual attire in retirement. I sympathize about the coats though. DH reaches for the dirtiest, grungiest coat in the closet. It doesn't even fit him now!

• Complexion: NW10; slight rosacea; dry
  • Eyes: Blue-gray
  • Hair: Dark blonde with slight gray, thick, wavy, dry
To be kind to all, to like many and love a few, to be needed and wanted by those we love, is certainly the nearest we can come to happiness. - Mary Stuart

milla

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2016, 03:17:51 PM »
Exactly. I had a go at DH the other day about his coat; told him he is beginning to look like a character in one of his beloved comedies, a chirpy Yorkshire man  who was not known for his sartorial taste in clothes. That seems to have had an effect, because he has been wearing his 'good' coat. On the other hand, it could be just because it was a bit colder today.

cara4art

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2016, 08:43:29 AM »
My husband is really good at shopping for himself for clothes. I wouldn't PRESUME to shop for him for anything, nor would he for me. Both of us are very particular in our own ways about what we wear, since we're both visually and aesthetically-oriented, although neither of us dresses up really. His biggest beef though is the fact that since he's a small man, it's not always easy to find things that fit. And no, we don't have the income to have custom-made, although a tailor has come in handy for some things. His style is simple and casual, on a trim body, and actually, he fusses more about his clothes than I do. I tend to just grab whatever out of my clothes(but they're such that they pretty much all go together anyway because I wear NO prints), and not change my mind once I'm dressed. But he'll change his clothes a couple times at least on the occasions(rare lately) that we do go out.