News: The Timeless Beauty is a forum for women over 40.
Chat with us about makeup, skin care, or whatever is on your mind.
Free and open membership. Never any ads. Privacy always respected.
Interested? Read here and/or here. Or just register!

Author Topic: lipstick advice  (Read 2153 times)

milla

• Ageless Beauty
lipstick advice
« on: January 03, 2017, 11:38:19 AM »
I would like to buy a lipstick for a friend as part of her birthday present. She always admires my lipsticks. As it is a present, I don’t mind spending a bit more than I usually  do. The only snag is, I am an ex-brunette with olive skin, and she has auburn (now dyed) hair and pale skin. Her lips are quite dry and thinner than mine.  I have read that Elizabeth Arden’s Ceramide Lipstick is very moisturizing. I don’t think she would like something very glossy, she says she does not like lip gloss, but I think that a matte lipstick would not suit her at all. I am not sure about the colour either. I think  she is an Autumn.  Any suggestions gratefully accepted.

Styyna

• Ageless Beauty
  • "steena"
Re: lipstick advice
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2017, 03:03:11 PM »
Is her style more MLBB or does she like nudes or perhaps something more colorful? What are your lipsticks that she's admired like? Matte? Satin? Lots of pigment? Sheer?

Based on your description of her lips, I agree that matte might not be her best look.

Maybe something like Chanel's Rouge Coco Shine? It comes in a lot of colors. Here's the Chanel description:

PRODUCT
A lightweight, innovative lipstick with intensified pigments that take colour and sheen to a new level of vibrancy.

COMPOSITION
The moisturizing formula of ROUGE COCO SHINE features a Hydratendre Complex to soften and hydrate lips for a fuller appearance.

HOW TO APPLY
Apply directly to lips or use the Retractable Lip Brush to apply a small amount of colour.

I like that this provides hydration and a fuller appearance but perhaps it's too much sheen for your friend?
  • Complexion: NW10; slight rosacea; dry
  • Eyes: Blue-gray
  • Hair: Dark blonde with slight gray, thick, wavy, dry
To be kind to all, to like many and love a few, to be needed and wanted by those we love, is certainly the nearest we can come to happiness. - Mary Stuart

milla

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2017, 05:31:58 PM »
I would not give her a very bright lipstick because her lips are quite thin, but a nude would not suit her, either. She needs a bit of colour, because she is very pale; it just needs to be the right colour. She has the same type of colouring of Nicole Kidman, but she is more auburn than blonde and she is 64, with pale skin that burns easily.
The lipsticks she liked on me were by  Bobbi Brown. Now Bobbi Brown does excellent lipsticks, but I am not sure that the texture is right for her. Rouge Coco is a great idea, because it is a good lipstick and the package is beautiful, like all Chanel products.
The problem is the colour… :-\
The problem is the colour…
I had a look at the range of colours for the Chanel Rouge Coco  and I like Intime and Intrepide (please see link)
http://www.houseoffraser.co.uk/CHANEL+ROUGE+COCO+SHINE+Hydrating+Colour+Lip+Shine/148193814,default,pd.html
Of the Elizabeth Arden I like Petal and Rose
https://www.boots.com/en/Elizabeth-Arden-Ceramide-Plump-Perfect-Lipstick_31635/
Of the Bobbi Brown I like Ballerina pink and Rose Bud
http://www.debenhams.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/prod_10701_10001_123555116799_-1?cmp=KNC_2361363232_168306741_23700701421_bobbi%20brown%20nourishing%20lip%20colour_e&mkwid=srEMKwefF|pcrid|167877515978|pkw|bobbi%20brown%20nourishing%20lip%20colour|pmt|e|pdv|c|prd|&mdrt=beauty&gclid=CJKq7p2Dp9ECFWsq0wodedsGhg
Apologies for the long post and all the links!

Styyna

• Ageless Beauty
  • "steena"
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2017, 06:43:58 PM »
Of the six you mentioned, here are my three picks to maybe help narrow it down:

Chanel - Intrepide is very pretty; Intime seems a little too nude to me

Elizabeth Arden - Rose is my choice; Petal might have too much of a blue undertone

Bobbi Brown - Rosebud; Ballerina Pink, again, seems too nude

Of course, this is all based on what I see with my monitor.

Color wise, I like Intrepide the most based on everything you've said about her and just looking at those six. My mother wore colors similar to that and it was amazing what that color did for her face. It adds color without being over the top but that's just my opinion.
  • Complexion: NW10; slight rosacea; dry
  • Eyes: Blue-gray
  • Hair: Dark blonde with slight gray, thick, wavy, dry
To be kind to all, to like many and love a few, to be needed and wanted by those we love, is certainly the nearest we can come to happiness. - Mary Stuart

milla

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2017, 05:12:16 AM »
Styyna, thank you for reading this boring post and giving me such practical advice. I shall definitely look at Intrepide. Chanel lipsticks are very good and the package is really classy, so it makes it ideal for a present. This lady is going to be 65 this month.

Swest

• Platinum Member
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2017, 04:29:34 PM »

I am responding late but have you seen this? Maybe Cecil would look nice on her but it is hard to judge without a picture. There are plenty of pink shades for pale skin.

For myself I would lean towards Marie but its slightly dark-medium.

http://www.bygeorgiagrace.com/2015/10/chanel-rouge-coco-lip-swatches-of-all-shades.html
  • Complexion: Fair-med NC20, combo
  • Eyes: Brown
  • Hair: Dark Reddish Brown

milla

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2017, 05:00:16 AM »
Thanks for the post. I actually had a look at this website a few days ago, it is very good. In the end I went with the advise of the SA, who had a similar colouring to my friend: I bought the 'Mademoiselle'. Hope it is OK. :wink:

riversidewalker

« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2017, 01:41:10 PM »
I find that Lancôme lipstick is moisturizing and goes on smoothly.  Someone gave me a tube that they got for free and I fell in love with it!

By far my favorite lip balm is from Melalueca.  While they have some good products, I mostly like the lip balm.  I'm not a 'member', I just log on and purchase it when I need it.  I like the mint and the coconut.  If I apply it every night before bed it really keep my lips smooth!
If you've 'let yourself go'
you can 'get yourself back'!

milla

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2017, 02:02:34 PM »
Hi Riversidewalker (what a lovely name btw) I have bought Lancôme lipsticks in the past, I agree with you, they are very good. Never heard of Melalueca here in the UK!

maya.tovi

« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2017, 12:57:20 PM »
I think UD Vice Lipsticks with cream or matte finish will be good. I've seen on TheBeautyInsiders website post about lipsticks with flower inside. They look amazing and change color based on your lips. I think it'll be a good present :)