News: The Timeless Beauty is a forum for women over 40.
Chat with us about makeup, skin care, or whatever is on your mind.
Free and open membership. Never any ads. Privacy always respected.
Interested? Read here and/or here. Or just register!

Author Topic: Customized Skin Care  (Read 2289 times)

makinalist

• Ageless Beauty
Customized Skin Care
« on: April 23, 2011, 09:06:04 AM »
I have been looking at two sites lately where you can choose the ingredients you want to use on your skin.  One I have seen mentioned here and the other one I haven't heard of before.

Skin Actives is one that Angelcat47 likes - also ddgattina, I think.  Enzoskin I saw mentioned on MUA.  I would love to know if anyone has experiences with these!

http://www.skinactives.com/

http://www.enzoskin.com/
  • Complexion: NW20 (cool light), normal-to-dry
  • Eyes: Blue-gray
  • Hair: Silver; thin, fine, straight
The most affectionate creature in the world is a wet dog.  ~Ambrose Bierce

cara4art

• Ageless Beauty
Re: Customized Skin Care
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2011, 10:30:47 AM »
No personal experience, although the idea sounds great. However, I've seen articles pooh-poohing DIY as far as active cosmetics and that what one concocts at home is simply not the same in activity or safety even than formulations that are time-tested and do work(even though they're more expensive). Some people say it's outright dangerous for one's skin to concoct anything more than a simple moisturizer or a scrub(I do do this). However, I would love to hear some more positive stuff about this.

makinalist

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2011, 07:34:53 PM »
Enzoskin is a bit different from the DIY sites.  They have basic products that you can request ingredients to be added when you order.  You get a finished product.

Poppyfields

• Ageless Beauty
  • letting myself go ..... forward
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2011, 10:14:54 PM »
I think its wonderful to have this option.  One would have to know a lot about ingredients and how your skin reacted to them to really make use of it though.  A lot more than I know anyway.   :wink:
  • Complexion: Fair, neutral
  • Eyes: dark blue
  • Hair: med. ash blond, gray highlights
There is nothing wrong with you. Not one single thing. Any fault lies with the fashion/cosmetic/marketing industry that has trained you with false proof to believe that you’re not perfect.

Tupelo

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2011, 11:27:17 AM »
Enzoskin is a bit different from the DIY sites.  They have basic products that you can request ingredients to be added when you order.  You get a finished product.

This! Plus, you are not adding the "big guns" like peptides to these potions. The ingredients appear to be all natural and plant-based. Barring allergies or other sensitivities, they do not appear to be harmful in any combination. Or strength, probably.
  • Complexion: Normal. Fair/warm. NC 15-20 (MAC speak)
  • Eyes: Blue green
  • Hair: Dark blonde, thick, long, graying at temples
Paddle faster. I hear banjo music.

SusieQ

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2011, 10:09:14 AM »
I wonder if they tell you how much percentage they add of the requested ingredients?  It would be nice to be able to add your own ingredients based on your skin need.  I have some reading to do tonight.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2011, 08:20:43 PM by SusieQ »
  • Complexion: Medium/Combination
  • Eyes: Brown
  • Hair: Black w/waves

ddgattina

• Platinum Member
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2011, 04:48:11 PM »
Yes, they all have slightly different approaches.  Enzo seems to be adding botanical oils to the basics, which is great for people who need more emollience (as well as the other benefits of these botanical oils).  I can't use anything with oils (except in eye area) so these wouldn't work for me, so I don't know much about Enzo.

Both Skin Actives and Garden of Wisdom sell both finished products and individual actives.  I've bought the actives and some of the bases thinking I'd mix my own potion, but it got too complicated for me!  So I've been using the finished products of both, primarily GoW, but an occasional Skin Actives.  Of these two, the GoW takes a more natural approach with their bases and finished products while Hannah at Skin Actives takes a more "scientific" approach, which means her bases aren't botanicals, but I think they are well-researched and superior to standard products on the market.  But both are good sources of the "actives".   I think the GoW products are aesthetically superior (eg many have wonderful fragrances from the plant ingredients).

I have started to add a bit of an actives "kicker" to finished products, and this is within my capabilities right now.  If I have a product that I like, I'll add a selective active to that.  At least this way I know that the basic product is a formulation that I like.  I'm going to do more experiments along these lines, because mixing from scratch can get complicated, and expensive if you are not happy with the finished product.

Tupelo

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2011, 06:27:43 PM »
This is a brilliant idea, tina. You can test drive each one that you are interested in, experimenting your way to great combinations!  Please do keep a notebook and let us know about your discoveries, OK?
  • Complexion: Normal. Fair/warm. NC 15-20 (MAC speak)
  • Eyes: Blue green
  • Hair: Dark blonde, thick, long, graying at temples
Paddle faster. I hear banjo music.

makinalist

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2011, 08:23:06 PM »
I'm so glad you responded in this topic, ddgattina.  I was pretty sure you had used Skin Actives before and I was hoping to get your perspective.