News: The Timeless Beauty is a forum for women over 40.
Chat with us about makeup, skin care, or whatever is on your mind.
Free and open membership. Never any ads. Privacy always respected.
Interested? Read here and/or here. Or just register!

Author Topic: Dry scalp  (Read 785 times)

Styyna

• Ageless Beauty
  • "steena"
Dry scalp
« on: January 18, 2017, 06:44:07 PM »
I am struggling with dry skin and a dry scalp. I can put cream on my skin, take warm, not hot, showers, and lots of other things for my skin. But I don't know what to do about my scalp.

I bought a couple of room humidifiers for the bedroom and the den where I spend a lot of time and those helped but they are ultrasonic and even with softened, purified water put out microscopic particles in the air that aggravate DH's COPD so those are going into storage until we can find someone who can use them. I dislike the evaporative kind of humidifiers because they are noisy and messy and we have in-floor heat so we can't do a whole house humidifier on the furnace.

I'm hoping for one or more recommendations for conditioners that help moisturizer the scalp. I don't have dandruff or anything like that, just a dry, itchy scalp. Help please?
  • Complexion: NW10; slight rosacea; dry
  • Eyes: Blue-gray
  • Hair: Dark blonde with slight gray, thick, wavy, dry
To be kind to all, to like many and love a few, to be needed and wanted by those we love, is certainly the nearest we can come to happiness. - Mary Stuart

milla

• Ageless Beauty
Re: Dry scalp
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2017, 01:20:13 PM »
How many times a week do you wash your hair? I never wash my hair more than twice a week and I try not to use heat unless I am going out and I want  to look chic ; otherwise I just dry it with my fingers. There are quite a few shampoos that claim to soothe an irritated scalp. My husband often suffers from dry skin and a dry scalp. He likes Aveeno for his skin (and so does my daughter, who has always had dry skin). I have bought him a shampoo called E45 Dermatological shampoo, which he likes a lot; don’t know if this is available in the US, though.

Styyna

• Ageless Beauty
  • "steena"
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2017, 01:44:28 PM »
I only wash my hair a couple times per week and, because it's short, seldom use a blow dryer on it. Even when I use a blow dryer I only partially dry it. I've done some research about shampoos and conditioners that claim to help dry scalp but most of them seem to focus on hair (understandably) and not scalp.

I don't know if E45 Dermatological shampoo is available here but I'll look. Thanks for mentioning it!
To be kind to all, to like many and love a few, to be needed and wanted by those we love, is certainly the nearest we can come to happiness. - Mary Stuart

milla

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2017, 09:00:27 AM »
if you cannot find E45, I am sure that there are a number of medicated shampoos for dry scalp available in the US. What about a massage with argan oil?

Styyna

• Ageless Beauty
  • "steena"
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2017, 09:10:16 AM »
I looked for E45 but it seemed expensive since it comes from the UK. So I settled on Art Naturals Argan Oil Hair Mask Deep Conditioner. It's applied after shampooing, combed through, left in place for a few minutes, and then rinsed out like a regular conditioner. It claims to be good for both hair and scalp so we'll see. :)

milla

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2017, 07:42:31 AM »
Argan oil is really good for dry skin and scalp. Let us know how you get on!

SusieQ

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2017, 11:49:50 PM »
Not much help here. :)  I was my hair everyday. I use a conditioner daily, too. Not sure if that helps with not having a dry scalp. I hope the argan is working for you, Styyna.
  • Complexion: Medium/Combination
  • Eyes: Brown
  • Hair: Black w/waves

silverstreak

• Silver Member
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2017, 09:25:30 AM »
Styyna, I rub my scalp with jojoba oil if it gets itchy & dry, Don't drench it, use sparingly. I also did a Google search "Dyson humidifier" take a read it has been "Scientifically proven to hydrate dry air for a healthier environment." I don't know if you can buy them in the States though.
  • Complexion: olive
  • Eyes: brown
  • Hair: white & grey, straight but coarse & thick.
silverstreak

Styyna

• Ageless Beauty
  • "steena"
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2017, 10:50:44 AM »
Thanks, Silverstreak, for the ideas.

I would love to have a humidifier or two in our home but am having trouble finding something affordable that's quiet and safe. Ultrasonic humidifiers do a great job but, even with distilled water, can put out a fine white powder in the air that aggravates my DH's COPD (lung disease). I looked at the Dyson and it's $500 for one that covers a small room and I'm not entirely certain that it doesn't release the same powder into the air so I think I'll keep looking. Those that use wicks and evaporation are very noisy and require the use of chemicals to prevent mold growth. We don't have forced air so can't add a humidifier to our furnace either.

I'm still waiting for my argan oil conditioner to come (I added it to my monthly subscription through Amazon so it won't be here until early Feb.) but if it doesn't work to my satisfaction I will definitely try jojoba oil as you suggested.

silverstreak

• Silver Member
« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2017, 07:19:13 AM »
Here's a really cheap idea - large bowls of water with rosemary & lavendar oil.
silverstreak

milla

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2017, 02:25:05 PM »
What a good idea! I often burn oils in an oil burner but a bowl of hot water with a few drops of essential oil sounds good. You would have to  make sure that your doggies stay away from the bowl!

Styyna

• Ageless Beauty
  • "steena"
« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2017, 11:18:46 AM »
I like the idea of water bowls with essential oils. Now, to figure out how and where to put them so that we get good coverage and don't damage wood surfaces. All of our available surfaces are wood except for the kitchen counter. Well, all of the surfaces that are above our dog's reach are wooden. Perhaps some of those clear plastic things that go under potted plants would work!

SusanG

• Platinum Member
« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2017, 10:51:19 AM »
I'm sorry it's taken me so long to read this thread! I had a terribly dry scalp last winter (this winter it hasn't been an issue; too much [ridiculous!] rain?), and tried Earth's Nectar Mint Leaves Scalp Oil, which I purchased at Sephora. It's a reasonably priced 4 oz. spray bottle which will probably last me the rest of my natural life. You just spray a little in the palm of your hand, then use your fingers to massage it into your scalp for a few minutes. Then rinse it out in the shower, and wash your hair as usual. It did the trick for me almost immediately.

http://www.sephora.com/mint-leaves-scalp-oil-P389140?skuId=1653864&icid2=earths_nectar_from_brand_carousel_ca:p389140 
  • Complexion: Fair: MAC NC15, Ivory in Dior
  • Eyes: Blue
  • Hair: Natural light brown with a little silver, pixie cut

Styyna

• Ageless Beauty
  • "steena"
« Reply #13 on: February 16, 2017, 09:13:31 AM »
Thanks Susan! I just received another product that I ordered weeks ago with argan oil that I will try but if it doesn't work your suggestion is next up.

denisiel

• Gold Member
« Reply #14 on: February 17, 2017, 10:09:43 PM »
Last time I went to a salon, I had a scalp therapy massage and the stylist examined by head closely and said I had dry scalp even though i don't have itching or flakes.  He suggested Phytopolléine Botanical Scalp Treatment by Phyto and used it for the massage.  He said that this product relieves dry scalp and also degunks the scalp so hair can grow better.  I've been using it for six weeks and it seems quite nice and my roots are very clean looking and shiny.  You just need about 10-20 drops for the entire scalp and leave on for 20 minutes once a week.

Styyna

• Ageless Beauty
  • "steena"
« Reply #15 on: February 18, 2017, 06:30:27 AM »
Thank you, Denisiel, for your recommendation! That product sounds like exactly what I need! I don't understand why it didn't come up when I searched for scalp treatments on Amazon since they carry it. Somehow I wasn't getting results from their "luxury" category I guess. As much as I spend on Amazon you'd think they'd be throwing everything at me by now! Thanks again. :)

silverstreak

• Silver Member
« Reply #16 on: May 27, 2017, 09:41:16 AM »
Thank you, thank you, just ordered for MH, poor lamb, he has been suffering with a very dry scalp!!!
silverstreak

Styyna

• Ageless Beauty
  • "steena"
« Reply #17 on: May 28, 2017, 05:28:00 AM »
I haven't tried the Phyto scalp treatment yet so I'd love to hear how it works out. I have it on my wish list at Amazon but I had already gotten a different product that I used until warmer, more humid weather arrived and took care of most of my problem.

SusieQ

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #18 on: May 31, 2017, 09:43:27 AM »
A cheap alternative...my son suffered from itchy dry scalp w/flakes and been using coconut oil.  I place a lot of oil all over his scalp and hair and been doing it for the last two months.  I treat his head and now mine, at least twice a week. I put the oil on and let is sit with plastic bag on our heads for 1/2 hour and shower it off.  It's been our thing now and let me tell you, his scalp is no longer dry and he has soft shiny hair - oh, yeah, me, too!

I hope the other products work for you all!
  • Complexion: Medium/Combination
  • Eyes: Brown
  • Hair: Black w/waves

milla

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #19 on: May 31, 2017, 01:47:59 PM »
My daughter loves coconut oil, too. I think it is worth a try.

Styyna

• Ageless Beauty
  • "steena"
« Reply #20 on: June 05, 2017, 05:51:06 AM »
Am I just a wuss? Coconut oil seems like it would be so messy and hard to wash out. I agree that it's probably good for hair and scalp but I don't want to mess with it. How much do you need to apply to see the benefits?