News: The Timeless Beauty is a forum for women over 40.
Chat with us about makeup, skin care, or whatever is on your mind.
Free and open membership. Never any ads. Privacy always respected.
Interested? Read here and/or here. Or just register!

Author Topic: Contouring  (Read 655 times)

milla

• Ageless Beauty
Contouring
« on: January 27, 2017, 02:09:46 PM »
What do you ladies make of contouring? Have you tried it? Does it work for you? just a little curious... :-\

cara4art

• Ageless Beauty
Re: Contouring
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2017, 09:34:46 AM »
If it's overdone, or not blended well, it doesn't look great at all. That said, there are varying degrees of it, depending on how much one wants to get into. And it can help put cheekbones where there weren't much of anything before. Yes, it DOES make a difference defining the planes of ones face, and makes one look better in photos too. Otherwise, the application of just foundation tends to flatten out the face while it's evening out that skin tone. Since I already have higher cheekbones, I just do an informal version of it with just a little bit of light bronzer swept on in the "3"-shape(from above outer eyebrows, under cheekbones and a bit on jawline. Then for the lighter part, I just use my lighter concealer in the "triangle of light" application with the outer part swept up past the outer part of eye. I know this sounds like a lot while written, but it actually goes very fast and looks very natural as the tones I have for both products are in keeping with my own skin tone. The key to any kind of contouring, like any other makeup application, is blending everything well, and not going overboard with the contrast. There are a bajillion "contouring kits" out there right now but I've found just my light bronzer and lighter concealer combo to do the job just fine without buying more stuff. Again, everyone's face is different and what one wants to get into. Another way is just to highlight and not even worry about the deeper shading color at all - this is where the newer "strobing sticks" come in(lighter, usually luminous product). For everyday, just a light touch with this goes a long way, if one gets into it at all. Evening, or for performers, is a different matter.:) Hope this helps!:)

milla

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2017, 11:32:11 AM »
I agree that foundation on its own can flatten the face and look artificial, but I don’t buy into all the new ‘contouring kits’. Imo if you are not a  makeup artist you should stick to what  you can do well, although a little experimentation is OK; just try it first in the comfort and safety of your room and then have a good look at yourself in day light, before venturing outside!  I used to love a bit of highlighter just above my cheek bones, then I got a bit scared of shine and sparkle in my fifties. As for bronzer, they tend to be powder rather than cream, and I don’t do powder… I have a Bobbi Brown blusher and I just apply it very lightly with my fingertips. It doubles as a lipstick when I don’t want to carry a lot of makeup in my bag.
 A couple of weeks ago I was talking to a SA at the Chanel counter in a department store. She suggested this, in shade 20, to ‘add warmth’:
http://www.chanel.com/en_GB/fragrance-beauty/makeup/p/complexion/healthy-glow-makeup/les-beiges-healthy-glow-sheer-colour-stick-p186920.html#skuid-0186920
As it costs an eye -watering £32, I don’t think I will be buying it in a hurry and I would certainly have to try it first. What kind of bronzer do you use, Cara?

cara4art

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2017, 07:47:37 PM »
@milla: Agreed!:) That's why I didn't fall for the contouring kits - I can manage just FINE with what I have. The bronzer I use is Physician's Formula, one of their older baked bronzers that I think are being discontinued. I don't know if that brand is available in the UK or not though.

Styyna

• Ageless Beauty
  • "steena"
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2017, 01:53:01 PM »
A friend of mine who is very clever and skillful at makeup application used contouring techniques on me and I have to say the results were stunning. She didn't apply lots of makeup and what she applied she blended quite well. This was many years ago though and I wouldn't know where to start on my face now. Things have shifted if you know what I mean. :D
  • Complexion: NW10; slight rosacea; dry
  • Eyes: Blue-gray
  • Hair: Dark blonde with slight gray, thick, wavy, dry
To be kind to all, to like many and love a few, to be needed and wanted by those we love, is certainly the nearest we can come to happiness. - Mary Stuart

SusieQ

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2017, 09:56:58 AM »
When I don't feel lazy, I do like to contour. Nothing dramatic.  Less is more with contouring. The best way I learned where I need to place contour is by looking at black and white photos of movie stars.  :lol:
  • Complexion: Medium/Combination
  • Eyes: Brown
  • Hair: Black w/waves

Styyna

• Ageless Beauty
  • "steena"
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2017, 11:06:57 AM »
I've never contoured but a friend once did some light contouring on me and it made a very nice difference. I'm just not into makeup enough any longer to spend the time and effort learning how to do it for myself.
  • Complexion: NW10; slight rosacea; dry
  • Eyes: Blue-gray
  • Hair: Dark blonde with slight gray, thick, wavy, dry
To be kind to all, to like many and love a few, to be needed and wanted by those we love, is certainly the nearest we can come to happiness. - Mary Stuart

cara4art

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2017, 11:23:46 AM »
Being an artist, one has an advantage makeup in general, as one is attuned to where light and shade fall, not to mention suitable colors in the first place. Again, what I do that I described, even though it sounds like a lot, goes really fast since it's done with a light hand. Sure, maybe I could just go without makeup altogether, but that's just not my style, even though my dress is casual.:)

Fenice

« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2017, 10:07:06 AM »
I do a bit of contouring, just to hint at a jawline (which is gradually disappearing down my neck). I use Kat Von D's contour palette and find it very, very subtle which is exactly what I wanted. I also use the colours for eyeshadows, so it doesn't end up being a single-purpose item for me.