News: The Timeless Beauty is a forum for women over 40.
Chat with us about makeup, skin care, or whatever is on your mind.
Free and open membership. Never any ads. Privacy always respected.
Interested? Read here and/or here. Or just register!

Author Topic: Dress making  (Read 1432 times)

milla

• Ageless Beauty
Dress making
« on: January 29, 2017, 08:17:00 AM »
I know that a few of us like knitting and crochet and I wonder if anyone is into sewing (dress-making). I started sewing a few months ago and I have some success with commercial patterns. Now I would like to draft my own patterns! I have found a couple of useful videos on Youtube and I have already drafted a pattern for a straight skirt, which fits perfectly. I am looking for instructions to make a pattern for simple top, with bust darts. If you know of a good website, please let me know! Thanks.

Styyna

• Ageless Beauty
  • "steena"
Re: Dress making
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2017, 01:55:49 PM »
You started sewing a few months ago and you've already moved onto making your own patterns? You are one very skilled woman! When do you audition for Project Runway (a show about designers who face challenges each week and compete against one another)? Unfortunately I have no good suggestions to make but I'm sure you'll find something out there that meets your needs. Enjoy!
  • Complexion: NW10; slight rosacea; dry
  • Eyes: Blue-gray
  • Hair: Dark blonde with slight gray, thick, wavy, dry
To be kind to all, to like many and love a few, to be needed and wanted by those we love, is certainly the nearest we can come to happiness. - Mary Stuart

milla

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2017, 02:36:47 PM »
We have had  a similar show in the UK, it was called 'The Great Sewing Bee'!  :lol: I used to sew years ago, I just abandoned it because work left no time for hobbies. Sewing is something that I really love and I want to improve my skills. I went back to sewing because most of the clothes in the shops are not very well-made and the fabric is not very nice; the clothes I love are very expensive! Even using good quality fabric I can make simple, long-lasting clothes at a fraction of the price they would cost in a shop.

Styyna

• Ageless Beauty
  • "steena"
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2017, 11:25:06 AM »
I used to sew a long time ago, too. I gave it up when it seemed all the nice fabric shops were closing. Just like with knitting, if I'm going to put the time and effort into constructing something, I want it to be made out of good quality fibers. But I can definitely see where you could save a lot of money making your own wardrobe or at least some of it.

My next voyage into sewing is going to be quilting. I have wanted to quilt for a long time and years ago began acquiring fabrics and notions toward that end. The owner of a quilt shop not too far away offers private lessons at a reasonable rate so I think I might take her up on that in late April after the tax season is over here in the US. I have done some studying and there are lots of tips and tricks when piecing that I think are best learned in person from someone skilled at doing it. At least, based on the way I learn best, I think that is the way to go.
To be kind to all, to like many and love a few, to be needed and wanted by those we love, is certainly the nearest we can come to happiness. - Mary Stuart

milla

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2017, 12:56:17 PM »
I've always wanted to try quilting but I am not very good at combining colours. As for dressmaking fabrics, I know exactly what you mean. In times gone by all good department stores sold fabric, but now there is only two in London still selling fabric: Liberty's and John Lewis. However there are a number of independent little shops that offer classes in dress making and you can get some good bargains in outdoor markets. Today has been a drizzly, miserable day and I spent the afternoon making a toile for this pattern

http://www.simplicitynewlook.com/media/catalog/product/cache/1/thumbnail/915x/17f82f742ffe127f42dca9de82fb58b1/6/1/6145_env_front_1.jpg
the dress is quite easy to make but I bought some nice, Japanese cotton and I am too scared of cutting it, so making a toile seemed a good idea. Fortunately, the fit is very good indeed, so I am ready to make the dress!

Styyna

• Ageless Beauty
  • "steena"
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2017, 04:16:43 PM »
Making a "toile" - is that making a test garment out of a less expensive fabric? I know that those who are good at sewing often do this but it certainly requires a lot of persistence and patience.

I love the lines of the dress you are making and hope that you share a picture of it, preferably modeled. :)

milla

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2017, 12:39:56 PM »
Yes, I cut up an old bed sheet and made a toile first. The dress is not very complicated but I am a bit out of practice and I did not want to spoil the material. I will post some pictures when it is finished.

Styyna

• Ageless Beauty
  • "steena"
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2017, 04:32:46 PM »
Can't wait to see pictures!