News: The Timeless Beauty is a forum for women over 40.
Chat with us about makeup, skin care, or whatever is on your mind.
Free and open membership. Never any ads. Privacy always respected.
Interested? Read here and/or here. Or just register!

Author Topic: What is the best red lipstick ?  (Read 368 times)

CholeLee

What is the best red lipstick ?
« on: February 13, 2017, 12:59:20 AM »
Hi everyone,
I'm looking for red lipstick for my mother, she's 50 ys. It's my mom and dad's wedding anniversary in next month. I want to my dad will be surprised at mom's charm.
her lips quite dry, she loves to use vaseline as a basement.
Thanks all. <3  :-*

cara4art

• Ageless Beauty
Re: What is the best red lipstick ?
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2017, 09:40:28 AM »
There's no "best red" that suits everyone. It really depends on her skin tone, whether she's warm, cool, or neutral. Orange-based and brick reds look great on warm skin tones, more blue-based reds on cooler skin tones, and true true reds on neutral. However, rules can be broken sometimes too. Also it depends on her general style. If she is more dramatic, a bolder shade would be great, and if she isn't, a red gloss(again suited to skin tone)is a great starting point. For people with drier lips, wearing a balm underneath a lipstick, or going with a very creamy formula is good too. Hope this helps. There are a TON of reds out there!:)

milla

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2017, 03:06:01 AM »
I agree with Cara. Imo the perfect red lipstick is one of those urban beauty myths, :lol: but you will find that lots of people disagree with me. M.A.C. Ruby Woo is touted as the shade to suit all; I don’t like it and it is not very moisturising. If you cannot go shopping with your mother, as the lipstick is meant to be a surprise present, take a good photo of her; instead of going for a bold red, how about going for something sheer? Yes, she will have to re-apply it, but it will be more flattering and comfortable. If you can afford it, go for something  in a beautiful package, like Chanel Rouge Coco, Lancome Rouge Absolu or  Elizabeth Arden Ultra Ceramide lipstick. For something slightly cheaper but excellent quality, beautifully packaged and a great range of colours, try Bobbi Brown!

Styyna

• Ageless Beauty
  • "steena"
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2017, 09:15:46 AM »
Hi CholeLee and welcome!

I love what you're doing for your mom (and dad)! Very sweet.

I think Milla and Cara covered all that I might have added to this topic. I hope that you find just the right lipstick for your mother and that she loves it.
  • Complexion: NW10; slight rosacea; dry
  • Eyes: Blue-gray
  • Hair: Dark blonde with slight gray, thick, wavy, dry
To be kind to all, to like many and love a few, to be needed and wanted by those we love, is certainly the nearest we can come to happiness. - Mary Stuart

CholeLee

« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2017, 11:40:59 PM »
Thanks so much for your all advice. I think I'll take my mom to go shopping, and share my idea with her. I think If I choose a color suits my mom's skin is better a color I think it's great. By the way, my mom's skin quite  bright, I think she can suit red color (though, she never use bright color, I'll recommend she should try once time. I think Marc Jacobs will be a best choice, she loves this brand.):D.
Thanks all again :-*

CholeLee

« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2017, 11:44:23 PM »
There's no "best red" that suits everyone. It really depends on her skin tone, whether she's warm, cool, or neutral. Orange-based and brick reds look great on warm skin tones, more blue-based reds on cooler skin tones, and true true reds on neutral. However, rules can be broken sometimes too. Also it depends on her general style. If she is more dramatic, a bolder shade would be great, and if she isn't, a red gloss(again suited to skin tone)is a great starting point. For people with drier lips, wearing a balm underneath a lipstick, or going with a very creamy formula is good too. Hope this helps. There are a TON of reds out there!:)

Hi Cara, How can I know what tone her skin is ?   :-\

milla

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2017, 10:01:10 AM »
I get a bit confused with skin tone myself. They say if you can wear gold you are warm, if you can wear silver you are cool, and if you suit both you are neutral! Another way of checking if you are warm, the veins in your arm are sort of green coloured and if you are cool, they will be blue...

CholeLee

« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2017, 12:38:18 AM »
Thanks Milla. I found some articles mention about the veins in arm related to skin toner. You're right ! I'll check with a mom.

Styyna

• Ageless Beauty
  • "steena"
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2017, 08:17:42 AM »
Just chiming in to say that the yellow gold vs. silver jewelry preference is often a good indicator. I'm cool to neutral and prefer white gold jewelry but can wear some yellow gold.

The vein color has been less reliable for me. If my veins are very close to the surface they appear more blue but if I'm cold and they aren't close to the surface (whenever I need an IV started or blood drawn, of course!) then they look more green.

CholeLee, if you share your idea with your mother and take her shopping, any good sales associate can tell whether she's warm or cool and steer you to appropriate colors. Please let us know how it goes!
  • Complexion: NW10; slight rosacea; dry
  • Eyes: Blue-gray
  • Hair: Dark blonde with slight gray, thick, wavy, dry
To be kind to all, to like many and love a few, to be needed and wanted by those we love, is certainly the nearest we can come to happiness. - Mary Stuart