News: The Timeless Beauty is a forum for women over 40.
Chat with us about makeup, skin care, or whatever is on your mind.
Free and open membership. Never any ads. Privacy always respected.
Interested? Read here and/or here. Or just register!

Author Topic: A great long weekend  (Read 232 times)

Styyna

• Ageless Beauty
  • "steena"
A great long weekend
« on: March 26, 2017, 07:29:42 PM »
On Thursday I drove a couple of hours to reach a beautiful resort in southeastern Minnesota where I met 14 other women, all of whom share an interest in knitting. I toyed with the idea of posting this under needlecraft but the retreat was about so much more than knitting.

The women attending ranged in age from about 30 to around 65 or so and came from a multitude of backgrounds, faiths, political beliefs, and so on. It was a delightfully mixed group. What was amazing was how friendly everyone was. It went beyond being respectful to true friendship. There were no TVs or radios though everyone had a cell phone or iPad so that we could look up and share patterns and yarns of interest. There were no awkward moments when someone said something that offended someone else. For four days it was like most of the problems of the world ceased to exist. We each shared about our lives but in ways that didn't cause our regular lives to intrude.

One of the group members loves to plan the retreats (this was the fourth but my first) and another loves to cook so a lot of the load was carried by them but we all chipped in by bringing food and drink and doing the cleaning. Last night, to cap the event off, we had a fashion show with categories for things like favorite finished product, favorite project to work on, least favorite but still completed project and so on. We had a red carpeted runway and all of the women (except me) strutted down the runway to show off their knitwear. The garments were stunning! Several are intended to be entered in the state fair later this year and the knitters have already garnered blue ribbons in the past so I'm sure I was seeing blue ribbon material last night. I didn't enter because I have yet to knit a sweater but I was not looked down upon in the least for that. Instead, I received a ton of encouragement and advice for how to go about making my first sweater - something I've longed to do.

Oh, and just to give an idea of how diverse our backgrounds were, there were two women from farms - one cattle and the other dairy, one woman is a doctor, another was a grade school music teacher before turning to business and now works in HR for IBM, and one woman digs up bodies in an effort to obtain DNA for identification! While they all face challenges like anyone else, they love what they do. It was a powerful experience with a powerful group of women. I feel very fortunate to have been in their presence this weekend!
  • Complexion: NW10; slight rosacea; dry
  • Eyes: Blue-gray
  • Hair: Dark blonde with slight gray, thick, wavy, dry
To be kind to all, to like many and love a few, to be needed and wanted by those we love, is certainly the nearest we can come to happiness. - Mary Stuart

SusieQ

• Ageless Beauty
Re: A great long weekend
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2017, 09:46:28 AM »
Oh wow!  It sounds amazing!  Maybe Ilovelucy would be interested in joining the next meet up. I bet the time went too quickly. It also sounds like you had some well deserved R&R. 

It's great when people get together and discuss common interest without any hidden agenda. I'm glad that you have wonderful time, Styyna! :clickingyourheels:
  • Complexion: Medium/Combination
  • Eyes: Brown
  • Hair: Black w/waves

Styyna

• Ageless Beauty
  • "steena"
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2017, 09:20:33 PM »
I would love to see ILuvLucy at the next retreat but we're at a point where we have maxed out the number of people who can attend. If everyone who attended this year and a few who attended in past years but couldn't make it this year came, we would have exactly enough beds at the resort. It was a serious discussion Sat. night. To accommodate more we'd not only need to find a different place but it would move planning and organizing to another level. One woman does the bulk of the planning and she's stupendous at it. Another woman is in charge of meals and does a lot of the cooking - she loves to cook but didn't turn down offers of help in all forms. They are both at their limits.

I have mixed feelings about setting limits. I'd love to see more people have experiences like I had. But I also appreciate the intimate environment of the existing group. Maybe ILuvLucy could find or start a group in her area! Our group was originally started by some women who all love The Plucky Knitter's yarn. But it wouldn't have to be that specific an interest. Just knitting would be fun.
  • Complexion: NW10; slight rosacea; dry
  • Eyes: Blue-gray
  • Hair: Dark blonde with slight gray, thick, wavy, dry
To be kind to all, to like many and love a few, to be needed and wanted by those we love, is certainly the nearest we can come to happiness. - Mary Stuart

SusieQ

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2017, 02:16:43 PM »
I see what you mean. It does take a few people to get something like this started.  :)

• Complexion: Medium/Combination
  • Eyes: Brown
  • Hair: Black w/waves