News: The Timeless Beauty is a forum for women over 40.
Chat with us about makeup, skin care, or whatever is on your mind.
Free and open membership. Never any ads. Privacy always respected.
Interested? Read here and/or here. Or just register!

Author Topic: "Fashion Fast" Help  (Read 1534 times)

ddgattina

• Platinum Member
"Fashion Fast" Help
« on: March 02, 2011, 06:54:08 PM »
Just read an article in a recent Oprah magazine about curbing our need to purchase.  The core principle is satiate yourself by handling all the stuff you already have, a lot.  The more you look at, touch, and hold the things you have the less you need to buy new things.  The corollary rule is:  don't handle or touch stuff in stores.  Once you touch it, you feel you need it.  If you have to go to a store, go exactly where you need to go, and don't browse or touch.  Satiate your need for "stuff" by touching and fondling the stuff you have at home.

There is actually research on this!  The more you touch something, the more you think you need it. It all makes sense.  We can get our stimulation from "exploring" or "hunting" in our own closets and drawers instead of in stores. Our "need" to buy comes from overstimulation of goods around us.

I'm gonna try this. I'm starting today.  After buying two new cardigans, custom made in the colors of my choice, on my trip.  My mistake was touching and trying on the sample garments at a market. After all, if I didn't do this while I was in London, there was no second chance.  But I'm done now, for a long time!

Since I don't think that looking on the internet qualifies as touching, I feel safe in posting the designer's website:
http://www.redcatknitwear.com/
Actually, her website doesn't look nearly as good as her knits do in person.  The newer colors have a much larger range and are much more luscious. I'm doing one cardi soft lime green tipped in chocolate brown, and another in burnt citrus orange tipped in chocolate.  The opportunity to choose colors specifically for you and your wardrobe is awesome, and the yarns and make are of extremely high quality. I'm really happy with my last purchases before my fast.

Veuve

• Ageless Beauty
Re: "Fashion Fast" Help
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2011, 08:50:55 PM »
Yay, welcome to fashion fasting! I think this is true. I did a big closet cleaning just before starting my fast. I scrubbed the walls and shelves with Mrs. Meyer's Lemon Verbena cleaner and hung lavender sachets. I pulled out all my clothes, rehung everything I was keeping, washed the sweaters, ironed things that needed it. I did the same thing with my shoes and bags: I cleaned them all, inside and out, and polished the shoes. I bought cedar shoe trees for my best shoes and boots. I also took out all my scarves and washed and/ironed the ones that needed it, re-folded everything.

I'm glad to hear there was some research about this as I thought maybe I was being a little weird! But handling everything and taking good care of your things brings a new appreciation, in my opinion.
Women always try to tame themselves as they get older, but the ones who look best are often a little wilder.-- Miuccia Prada
www.shopquotidienne.com

Poppyfields

• Ageless Beauty
  • letting myself go ..... forward
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2011, 11:42:38 AM »
Wow, Veuve, I'm impressed.  I bet its lovely to go into your closet now.

'tina, thanks for reporting that idea.  Its easy to forget what you actually have in the corners, and handling it all should help you remember why you purchased it in the first place.

• Complexion: Fair, neutral
  • Eyes: dark blue
  • Hair: med. ash blond, gray highlights
There is nothing wrong with you. Not one single thing. Any fault lies with the fashion/cosmetic/marketing industry that has trained you with false proof to believe that you’re not perfect.

Veuve

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2011, 01:20:36 PM »
Poppy, it was a weekend project. My closet's not that big, so it was certainly doable once I decided-- and turned out to be a lot of fun.

dd, keep us posted on how you're doing!
Women always try to tame themselves as they get older, but the ones who look best are often a little wilder.-- Miuccia Prada
www.shopquotidienne.com

SuePhilly

• Platinum Member
  • Namaste.
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2011, 01:38:05 PM »
Yay, welcome to fashion fasting! I think this is true. I did a big closet cleaning just before starting my fast. I scrubbed the walls and shelves with Mrs. Meyer's Lemon Verbena cleaner and hung lavender sachets. I pulled out all my clothes, rehung everything I was keeping, washed the sweaters, ironed things that needed it. I did the same thing with my shoes and bags: I cleaned them all, inside and out, and polished the shoes. I bought cedar shoe trees for my best shoes and boots. I also took out all my scarves and washed and/ironed the ones that needed it, re-folded everything.

I'm glad to hear there was some research about this as I thought maybe I was being a little weird! But handling everything and taking good care of your things brings a new appreciation, in my opinion.

I am so gonna do this.  Very inspiring.  I can just "feel" the freshness.
  • Complexion: Pale dry skin
  • Eyes: Blue
  • Hair: Faux blond
Age is a state of mind.

ddgattina

• Platinum Member
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2011, 02:05:53 PM »
Veuve, such a beautiful (and sensual) way to start a fast.  It's like a cleansing and refreshing ritual. I love this.  YOU should be writing articles for Oprah magazine!