News: The Timeless Beauty is a forum for women over 40.
Chat with us about makeup, skin care, or whatever is on your mind.
Free and open membership. Never any ads. Privacy always respected.
Interested? Read here and/or here. Or just register!

Author Topic: Spain! in the Carnival Season?  (Read 405 times)

milla

• Ageless Beauty
Spain! in the Carnival Season?
« on: April 12, 2017, 03:57:23 AM »
We have been going to Spain late February for the last…15 years or so?... We go to the same place in the south of Spain’s region of Andalucia, a small town by the Med, perfect place to relax and also a good base to explore the many treasures of this region. Now that we are both retired from teaching we can go outside the school holidays; less hassle, cheaper flights! As they say, what is not to like?
We are normally there for Carnival i.e.Mardi Gras, which is celebrated in most countries in the Continent.  In the UK, a carnival is just a pageant that happens in the Summer when people feel like it; it is not the something that marks the start of Lent. We do have a massive Carnival in London, the Notting Hill Carnival, which is probably the biggest street event in London and it also takes place in the summer.
The Carnival in the town where we stay (Nerja) is very family orientated; lots of music, fancy costumes but no semi-nude ladies! Local families go out to see the processions and it is great fun…as I found out this year. Having  visited the town for the last 15 years, this  was the first time I saw it. While the others (husband and in-laws)  were in the swimming pool and gym doing healthy things, I just went out and mingled with the locals! I took a lot of photos, too many to post, but I just want to show these: I will call them ‘Ladies of a certain age having fun’!

Styyna

• Ageless Beauty
  • "steena"
Re: Spain! in the Carnival Season?
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2017, 06:13:03 AM »
What a great place to get away to! I'd love to visit a place like this in February. Carnival season sounds like fun.

I loved the pictures. I love hats of all kinds, perhaps even more so since no one wears them much in the US. The women in the pictures were having so much fun! They looked marvelous, too. Thanks for sharing.
  • Complexion: NW10; slight rosacea; dry
  • Eyes: Blue-gray
  • Hair: Dark blonde with slight gray, thick, wavy, dry
To be kind to all, to like many and love a few, to be needed and wanted by those we love, is certainly the nearest we can come to happiness. - Mary Stuart

milla

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2017, 10:18:07 AM »
This is the view from our balcony. No wonder we keep going back. The staff at the hotel are marvellous, so friendly, we always get a great welcome there. Granada and Seville are less than two hours by coach, Ronda is a bit less; wonderful towns, full of interesting monuments and beautiful scenery.

SusieQ

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2017, 10:43:00 AM »
Oh, that's just lovely, milla. I can see why you and hubby return to this place annually.  Thank you for sharing your wonderful vacation!
  • Complexion: Medium/Combination
  • Eyes: Brown
  • Hair: Black w/waves

milla

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2017, 01:06:57 PM »
Not bad weather for February, don't you think?

SusieQ

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2017, 10:56:54 PM »
Not bad weather for February, don't you think?
Beautiful weather!  We still have rain and cold weather in April!!
  • Complexion: Medium/Combination
  • Eyes: Brown
  • Hair: Black w/waves

SusanG

• Platinum Member
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2017, 01:44:22 PM »
This is the view from our balcony. No wonder we keep going back. The staff at the hotel are marvellous, so friendly, we always get a great welcome there. Granada and Seville are less than two hours by coach, Ronda is a bit less; wonderful towns, full of interesting monuments and beautiful scenery.

What a gorgeous setting, Milla!
  • Complexion: Fair: MAC NC15, Ivory in Dior
  • Eyes: Blue
  • Hair: Natural light brown with a little silver, pixie cut

ILuvLucy

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2017, 08:14:59 AM »
How wonderful! Your view from the balcony is so beautiful, Milla.  Do people swim at that beach? Is the water cold?
  • Complexion: Light/Medium
  • Hair: Blonde/Thin/Straight
"A mysterious expression will add a lovely sheen to your complexion" --Nancy Drew in The Clue of the Velvet Mask

milla

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2017, 09:22:32 AM »
Yes ILlucy, people swim there.  The Med is still a bit cold in February but it is very pleasant in the summer. I don't find it too cold because I am used to the cold waters of the Atlantic  :wink:

Styyna

• Ageless Beauty
  • "steena"
« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2017, 11:01:21 AM »
I don't find it too cold because I am used to the cold waters of the Atlantic  :wink:

Brrr...I remember traveling alone to visit family in Norway. After about 24 hours of travel by plane, taxi, train, and bus I arrived around noon. That afternoon everyone wanted to go swimming and of course I wanted to join them. My uncle mentioned that the water in the fjord was a bit "brisk" that day after checking the thermometer. After being assured that it was safe to dive off the end of the pier I dove in. Was I ever shocked! It was so cold it knocked the wind right out of me and upon surfacing all I could do was inhale and inhale again. I will say, I was wide awake at that point!

Even without swimming, I think visiting that area in Feb. still sounds like a great trip that I would like to make. The picture just makes it that much more enticing.
To be kind to all, to like many and love a few, to be needed and wanted by those we love, is certainly the nearest we can come to happiness. - Mary Stuart

ILuvLucy

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2017, 07:02:09 AM »
I guess "cold" is very subjective, huh?  :grin:
We are on the Atlantic as well.  It has to get quite hot on the beach in order for me to venture into the water at all! I usually will take a dip in the bay, where it's a bit warmer than the ocean.
Though it's possible that this summer will be different for me since Hot Flashes have descended upon me like crazy lately!  :rollseyes:   I just might be splashing around in those waves more often. Haha.
  • Complexion: Light/Medium
  • Hair: Blonde/Thin/Straight
"A mysterious expression will add a lovely sheen to your complexion" --Nancy Drew in The Clue of the Velvet Mask

Styyna

• Ageless Beauty
  • "steena"
« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2017, 11:46:45 AM »
Ah, the infamous Hot Flashes. Hopefully they won't be too bad but if they are I hope you are able to get to the shore often!