News: The Timeless Beauty is a forum for women over 40.
Chat with us about makeup, skin care, or whatever is on your mind.
Free and open membership. Never any ads. Privacy always respected.
Interested? Read here and/or here. Or just register!

Author Topic: Orchids  (Read 1159 times)

Styyna

• Ageless Beauty
  • "steena"
Orchids
« on: April 12, 2017, 06:04:12 AM »
Thanks for suggesting a new topic, SusieQ. You were right, it's long overdue!

And thanks for the tips in your last post under the old topic. I think I'll see if I can get DH a membership in the orchid society and hopefully find a local one. Now that he's mostly retired he has plenty of time to go to meetings!

I still haven't gotten a good photo of our orchids. When the light is good I don't think of snapping one; that only occurs to me at times like this (6 am) when there's no light.

I started catching up on your YouTube videos. I love your commentary. It makes me feel like I'm right there with you. You have an impressive number of orchids! Do you have a dedicated grow room at this stage?
  • Complexion: NW10; slight rosacea; dry
  • Eyes: Blue-gray
  • Hair: Dark blonde with slight gray, thick, wavy, dry
To be kind to all, to like many and love a few, to be needed and wanted by those we love, is certainly the nearest we can come to happiness. - Mary Stuart

SusieQ

• Ageless Beauty
Re: Orchids
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2017, 10:52:56 AM »
I think he will enjoy the meetings since often the members themselves have orchids to sell or they giveaway orchids. But, the best part is learning about orchids and how to better help your orchids grow better in your environment and meeting people that have the same interest as you.  Just imagine your previous knitting get away but orchids. I believe meetings are once a month. 

And, on those nights he can't sleep, he can log in to the AOS site and learn more about his orchids.   The webinars are long but if you're interested in a particular orchid, it's a wonderful way to learn in one seminar.  You may be in bloom heaven soon!

Our formal living room has turned into my indoor grow room. I have a few hanging in the kitchen window - humidity is great in there- and a few more in what I call my "woman cave" but mostly phalaenopsis types no ID. I've set up my greenhouse and have placed a few orchids in there.  They keep me busy... :lol:
  • Complexion: Medium/Combination
  • Eyes: Brown
  • Hair: Black w/waves

Styyna

• Ageless Beauty
  • "steena"
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2017, 08:04:16 PM »
DH is now a member of the American Orchid Society. I signed him up! He was grateful and sends his thanks to you, SusieQ. Now to find a local group. There are two colleges in town and I wonder if one of them might have a group. If not, and if I can't find one in town, there are large cities just 45 minutes to the north of us and I'm sure I can find something there.

Now, about your greenhouse...do tell! Is this something new or have I suffered a senior moment and just don't remember you talking about it? You are clearly serious about your orchids and have devoted a lot of time and energy and probably dollars to your passion. Though I seem to recall that at the outset you were able to get orchids at the farmers' market or some such place and the prices were reasonable if I recall correctly. Now, though, it seems that you have a list of new varieties (is that the right word?) that might not be as readily available.
To be kind to all, to like many and love a few, to be needed and wanted by those we love, is certainly the nearest we can come to happiness. - Mary Stuart

SusieQ

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2017, 10:59:40 PM »
Here's a link you may find helpful:

https://www.orchidmall.com/society.htm  The orchid society listing.  :)

SusieQ

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2017, 11:11:55 PM »
DH is now a member of the American Orchid Society. I signed him up! He was grateful and sends his thanks to you, SusieQ. Now to find a local group. There are two colleges in town and I wonder if one of them might have a group. If not, and if I can't find one in town, there are large cities just 45 minutes to the north of us and I'm sure I can find something there.
He will love it!  I spend way too much time there before I go to bed.  The magazines they send are worth the price of the membership alone, imho.  :grin:

Now, about your greenhouse...do tell! Is this something new or have I suffered a senior moment and just don't remember you talking about it? You are clearly serious about your orchids and have devoted a lot of time and energy and probably dollars to your passion. Though I seem to recall that at the outset you were able to get orchids at the farmers' market or some such place and the prices were reasonable if I recall correctly. Now, though, it seems that you have a list of new varieties (is that the right word?) that might not be as readily available.
The GH was a birthday/Christmas present from hubby. I got it in early November and set my succulents and cacti in there. When spring came around, I took all the succulent and cacti out and started introducing the orchids.  I just have about 30 in the GH right now but hope to add more as it gets closer to summer. Yes, I started my collection by purchasing some orchids at a farmer's market and found the Sharry Baby Oncidium type of orchid that smell like vanilla chocolate when in bloom.  Then, my taste wanted something different and dragged my hubby and son to as many orchid shows I could find...also orchid nurseries.  Now, I mainly shop online since I found sellers that have great orchids and really know the meaning of customer service.  Growing orchid is addicting because they are so many species and hybrid and colors and fragrant.  It's fun, it keeps me out of trouble, keeps me busy and every one in the house can enjoy the  beauty.  They are not too crazy about my makeup collection.  :lol:

Styyna

• Ageless Beauty
  • "steena"
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2017, 04:30:41 PM »
SusieQ, what are some online orchid sellers that you like?

orchidweb.com is the website of the shop that is in a city close to us that we have yet to visit. Have you heard of it? Do you know anything about it?

It seems to me that, living in Minnesota, we probably should only order from online sources during warm months due to transit time and temperatures. I'd hate for a plant, even one carefully wrapped in insulation, to be left on our front doorstep in the winter!

DH asked me to ask you so he's really warming up to the idea!

milla

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2017, 02:08:52 AM »
I will have to post some photos of DH's pet orchid so you can tell us what is going on there!

Styyna

• Ageless Beauty
  • "steena"
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2017, 07:04:31 AM »
Milla, do post a picture! SusieQ really knows her stuff.

SusieQ

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2017, 10:34:31 AM »
SusieQ, what are some online orchid sellers that you like?

orchidweb.com is the website of the shop that is in a city close to us that we have yet to visit. Have you heard of it? Do you know anything about it?

It seems to me that, living in Minnesota, we probably should only order from online sources during warm months due to transit time and temperatures. I'd hate for a plant, even one carefully wrapped in insulation, to be left on our front doorstep in the winter!

DH asked me to ask you so he's really warming up to the idea!
That great!  I ordered from these guys and really liked them:
https://laorchid.com/ - the owner is really sweet. I have two  recent orders from this site and posted on my channel - LOC Haul

http://orchidsbyhausermann.com/  - I ordered from him several times, too.  Love his orchids

http://sunsetvalleyorchids.com/ - A bit pricey but excellent and healthy orchids.  He gives a discount if you are a member of the America Society so it's worth it. Also, not sure how many orchids you have to orchid but he often throw an extra one.   I don't think I've heard of Orchidweb.com but will check it out.  :grin:

This is the best time to order since it's not soo hot, yet. But, many vendor will include insulation to keep the orchid nice and cool. Some will charge you but some won't. I can't wait to see the orchids!

SusieQ

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2017, 10:35:12 AM »
I will have to post some photos of DH's pet orchid so you can tell us what is going on there!
Yes, let me see!! :happyinthesun:

Styyna

• Ageless Beauty
  • "steena"
« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2017, 11:53:09 AM »
Thanks again, SusieQ! I looked for just a few minutes at one of the sites you suggested and I'm in love with cattleyas. I saw some that are compact, topping out at 12" tall and I'd love to have one in my office window.

DH is busy figuring out lighting for his grow room. It's a windowless room so he has to provide all the lighting. He did that before successfully so I'm sure he'll figure it out again.

He received his first Orchid magazine from AOS and I haven't even had a chance to thumb through it and look at the pictures. He totes it around the house! The cover is stunning though. :)

I'll take pictures when he gets his grow room set up and again after he puts some orchids in there.

SusieQ

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #11 on: May 06, 2017, 11:55:20 AM »
Grow light: I found this last year and love them. I have six, I think. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m8IQGtz4DL0&t=3s - this guy does a great demo and they sell them on Amazon for only $32!

https://www.amazon.com/KINGBO-Reflector-Spectrum-Seeding-Flowering/dp/B01LYBGVRG/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1494089519&sr=8-1&keywords=kingbo+led+grow+light

I swear by them and one of my orchids friends online only purchased them after watching the video and she purchased at least the same amount I did. For $32, it's great value!  I  may buy some more for backup.

The magazines from AOS are wonderful!  I'm glad he likes it!

milla

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #12 on: May 06, 2017, 01:19:12 PM »
Here is the lovely orchid, that has just woken up from a long period of hibernation; also the brave little lemon  tree that I grew from a pip. It sustained severe pruning a while ago, because it was covered in a white, sticky substance and it looked very sick. I am pleased to say that it is looking very healthy.

SusieQ

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #13 on: May 08, 2017, 10:16:40 AM »
Milla, your orchid is beautiful and look at all those buds!!  When they all open, it's going to put out a beautiful show!  I love the colors on the blooms. Just beautiful! 

It sounded like you had concerns about this orchid in your earlier post.  The orchid looks good. Was there a specific think you and your DH were concern about?

Your lemon baby looks great btw!

milla

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #14 on: May 08, 2017, 12:41:08 PM »
I am just not very good with orchids. I don't know where to put them, when to feed them, how to water them...so I've left this one in DH's tender, loving care and it is working!  I still think he over-waters house plants.