News: The Timeless Beauty is a forum for women over 40.
Chat with us about makeup, skin care, or whatever is on your mind.
Free and open membership. Never any ads. Privacy always respected.
Interested? Read here and/or here. Or just register!

Author Topic: Orchids  (Read 1225 times)

Styyna

• Ageless Beauty
  • "steena"
Orchids
« on: April 12, 2017, 06:04:12 AM »
Thanks for suggesting a new topic, SusieQ. You were right, it's long overdue!

And thanks for the tips in your last post under the old topic. I think I'll see if I can get DH a membership in the orchid society and hopefully find a local one. Now that he's mostly retired he has plenty of time to go to meetings!

I still haven't gotten a good photo of our orchids. When the light is good I don't think of snapping one; that only occurs to me at times like this (6 am) when there's no light.

I started catching up on your YouTube videos. I love your commentary. It makes me feel like I'm right there with you. You have an impressive number of orchids! Do you have a dedicated grow room at this stage?
  • Complexion: NW10; slight rosacea; dry
  • Eyes: Blue-gray
  • Hair: Dark blonde with slight gray, thick, wavy, dry
To be kind to all, to like many and love a few, to be needed and wanted by those we love, is certainly the nearest we can come to happiness. - Mary Stuart

SusieQ

• Ageless Beauty
Re: Orchids
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2017, 10:52:56 AM »
I think he will enjoy the meetings since often the members themselves have orchids to sell or they giveaway orchids. But, the best part is learning about orchids and how to better help your orchids grow better in your environment and meeting people that have the same interest as you.  Just imagine your previous knitting get away but orchids. I believe meetings are once a month. 

And, on those nights he can't sleep, he can log in to the AOS site and learn more about his orchids.   The webinars are long but if you're interested in a particular orchid, it's a wonderful way to learn in one seminar.  You may be in bloom heaven soon!

Our formal living room has turned into my indoor grow room. I have a few hanging in the kitchen window - humidity is great in there- and a few more in what I call my "woman cave" but mostly phalaenopsis types no ID. I've set up my greenhouse and have placed a few orchids in there.  They keep me busy... :lol:
  • Complexion: Medium/Combination
  • Eyes: Brown
  • Hair: Black w/waves

Styyna

• Ageless Beauty
  • "steena"
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2017, 08:04:16 PM »
DH is now a member of the American Orchid Society. I signed him up! He was grateful and sends his thanks to you, SusieQ. Now to find a local group. There are two colleges in town and I wonder if one of them might have a group. If not, and if I can't find one in town, there are large cities just 45 minutes to the north of us and I'm sure I can find something there.

Now, about your greenhouse...do tell! Is this something new or have I suffered a senior moment and just don't remember you talking about it? You are clearly serious about your orchids and have devoted a lot of time and energy and probably dollars to your passion. Though I seem to recall that at the outset you were able to get orchids at the farmers' market or some such place and the prices were reasonable if I recall correctly. Now, though, it seems that you have a list of new varieties (is that the right word?) that might not be as readily available.
To be kind to all, to like many and love a few, to be needed and wanted by those we love, is certainly the nearest we can come to happiness. - Mary Stuart

SusieQ

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2017, 10:59:40 PM »
Here's a link you may find helpful:

https://www.orchidmall.com/society.htm  The orchid society listing.  :)

SusieQ

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2017, 11:11:55 PM »
DH is now a member of the American Orchid Society. I signed him up! He was grateful and sends his thanks to you, SusieQ. Now to find a local group. There are two colleges in town and I wonder if one of them might have a group. If not, and if I can't find one in town, there are large cities just 45 minutes to the north of us and I'm sure I can find something there.
He will love it!  I spend way too much time there before I go to bed.  The magazines they send are worth the price of the membership alone, imho.  :grin:

Now, about your greenhouse...do tell! Is this something new or have I suffered a senior moment and just don't remember you talking about it? You are clearly serious about your orchids and have devoted a lot of time and energy and probably dollars to your passion. Though I seem to recall that at the outset you were able to get orchids at the farmers' market or some such place and the prices were reasonable if I recall correctly. Now, though, it seems that you have a list of new varieties (is that the right word?) that might not be as readily available.
The GH was a birthday/Christmas present from hubby. I got it in early November and set my succulents and cacti in there. When spring came around, I took all the succulent and cacti out and started introducing the orchids.  I just have about 30 in the GH right now but hope to add more as it gets closer to summer. Yes, I started my collection by purchasing some orchids at a farmer's market and found the Sharry Baby Oncidium type of orchid that smell like vanilla chocolate when in bloom.  Then, my taste wanted something different and dragged my hubby and son to as many orchid shows I could find...also orchid nurseries.  Now, I mainly shop online since I found sellers that have great orchids and really know the meaning of customer service.  Growing orchid is addicting because they are so many species and hybrid and colors and fragrant.  It's fun, it keeps me out of trouble, keeps me busy and every one in the house can enjoy the  beauty.  They are not too crazy about my makeup collection.  :lol:

Styyna

• Ageless Beauty
  • "steena"
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2017, 04:30:41 PM »
SusieQ, what are some online orchid sellers that you like?

orchidweb.com is the website of the shop that is in a city close to us that we have yet to visit. Have you heard of it? Do you know anything about it?

It seems to me that, living in Minnesota, we probably should only order from online sources during warm months due to transit time and temperatures. I'd hate for a plant, even one carefully wrapped in insulation, to be left on our front doorstep in the winter!

DH asked me to ask you so he's really warming up to the idea!

milla

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2017, 02:08:52 AM »
I will have to post some photos of DH's pet orchid so you can tell us what is going on there!

Styyna

• Ageless Beauty
  • "steena"
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2017, 07:04:31 AM »
Milla, do post a picture! SusieQ really knows her stuff.

SusieQ

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2017, 10:34:31 AM »
SusieQ, what are some online orchid sellers that you like?

orchidweb.com is the website of the shop that is in a city close to us that we have yet to visit. Have you heard of it? Do you know anything about it?

It seems to me that, living in Minnesota, we probably should only order from online sources during warm months due to transit time and temperatures. I'd hate for a plant, even one carefully wrapped in insulation, to be left on our front doorstep in the winter!

DH asked me to ask you so he's really warming up to the idea!
That great!  I ordered from these guys and really liked them:
https://laorchid.com/ - the owner is really sweet. I have two  recent orders from this site and posted on my channel - LOC Haul

http://orchidsbyhausermann.com/  - I ordered from him several times, too.  Love his orchids

http://sunsetvalleyorchids.com/ - A bit pricey but excellent and healthy orchids.  He gives a discount if you are a member of the America Society so it's worth it. Also, not sure how many orchids you have to orchid but he often throw an extra one.   I don't think I've heard of Orchidweb.com but will check it out.  :grin:

This is the best time to order since it's not soo hot, yet. But, many vendor will include insulation to keep the orchid nice and cool. Some will charge you but some won't. I can't wait to see the orchids!

SusieQ

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2017, 10:35:12 AM »
I will have to post some photos of DH's pet orchid so you can tell us what is going on there!
Yes, let me see!! :happyinthesun:

Styyna

• Ageless Beauty
  • "steena"
« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2017, 11:53:09 AM »
Thanks again, SusieQ! I looked for just a few minutes at one of the sites you suggested and I'm in love with cattleyas. I saw some that are compact, topping out at 12" tall and I'd love to have one in my office window.

DH is busy figuring out lighting for his grow room. It's a windowless room so he has to provide all the lighting. He did that before successfully so I'm sure he'll figure it out again.

He received his first Orchid magazine from AOS and I haven't even had a chance to thumb through it and look at the pictures. He totes it around the house! The cover is stunning though. :)

I'll take pictures when he gets his grow room set up and again after he puts some orchids in there.

SusieQ

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #11 on: May 06, 2017, 11:55:20 AM »
Grow light: I found this last year and love them. I have six, I think. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m8IQGtz4DL0&t=3s - this guy does a great demo and they sell them on Amazon for only $32!

https://www.amazon.com/KINGBO-Reflector-Spectrum-Seeding-Flowering/dp/B01LYBGVRG/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1494089519&sr=8-1&keywords=kingbo+led+grow+light

I swear by them and one of my orchids friends online only purchased them after watching the video and she purchased at least the same amount I did. For $32, it's great value!  I  may buy some more for backup.

The magazines from AOS are wonderful!  I'm glad he likes it!

milla

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #12 on: May 06, 2017, 01:19:12 PM »
Here is the lovely orchid, that has just woken up from a long period of hibernation; also the brave little lemon  tree that I grew from a pip. It sustained severe pruning a while ago, because it was covered in a white, sticky substance and it looked very sick. I am pleased to say that it is looking very healthy.

SusieQ

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #13 on: May 08, 2017, 10:16:40 AM »
Milla, your orchid is beautiful and look at all those buds!!  When they all open, it's going to put out a beautiful show!  I love the colors on the blooms. Just beautiful! 

It sounded like you had concerns about this orchid in your earlier post.  The orchid looks good. Was there a specific think you and your DH were concern about?

Your lemon baby looks great btw!

milla

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #14 on: May 08, 2017, 12:41:08 PM »
I am just not very good with orchids. I don't know where to put them, when to feed them, how to water them...so I've left this one in DH's tender, loving care and it is working!  I still think he over-waters house plants.

Styyna

• Ageless Beauty
  • "steena"
« Reply #15 on: May 08, 2017, 04:20:47 PM »
Milla, I love your orchid and your baby lemon tree! As Susie said, you are going to have a beautiful show of flowers and, if they are like ours, they will last for weeks on end, actually months at this point.

Will your lemon tree blossom, too? I've never seen citrus blossoms so please be sure to post a pic if it does!

DH couldn't make up his mind which orchids to order so I placed an order for four of them for him. I can't remember exactly what I ordered now but they are coming from one of the places you recommended, SusieQ - the one in Illinois. I know I bought a lovely white cattleya and a blue vanda but that's all I remember. They aren't in spike so we get to nurture them along! When they bloom I will be sure to take pictures.

Styyna

• Ageless Beauty
  • "steena"
« Reply #16 on: May 09, 2017, 09:18:45 PM »
SusieQ - I was just watching your Grow Space Update on YouTube and I'm just blown away at the number of orchids you have growing! I haven't had much time to watch your videos or maybe I wouldn't be so surprised. You talked in your video about "bare shelves" but they looked anything but!  Everything looks so well tended, too. I can't imagine how much time you must spend with all of your flowers and plants. We're waiting for our first shipment and feel like getting four new plants is a big deal but they wouldn't even be a drop in the bucket for you.

A neighbor I hadn't met stopped by today and saw our existing orchids in the front window and raved about them. That was fun. I can see myself going down the orchid rabbit hole myself if I'm not careful. I find myself rereading our posts here and following them to places like the Orchid Society of Minnesota. I was ready to join but their membership year ends in June. I wrote to ask if I could join now and pay for next year and a prorated amount for this year but haven't heard back.

Well, back to finish viewing your video. By the way, I love your voice - it's very calm and soothing to listen to your narration.

SusieQ

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #17 on: May 19, 2017, 10:38:59 AM »
I am just not very good with orchids. I don't know where to put them, when to feed them, how to water them...so I've left this one in DH's tender, loving care and it is working!  I still think he over-waters house plants.
My mom loves to water plants daily and water is just all over the place. I've given her a schedule and that seems to work . The orchid you have is called Phalaenopsis or Moth Orchid.  Thousands and thousands of these hybrids are imported to US for their flowers and easy care.  Your orchid needs indirect light and at least 7-8 hours if possible. North facing windows are the best or if you have an East facing window that gets morning sun that's Ok, too.  Once a week for watering is good and I usually soak the orchid for about 15-20 minutes in cool water and I fertilizer once or twice a week but a weak strength - two pinch is usually enough or when the water is more like the color of light sky blue. 

The newest trend now is growing orchids in water culture.  But, this can be very tricky if you're not sure what you are doing and what signs to look for to take additional actions. But, the orchid looks great!

SusieQ

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #18 on: May 19, 2017, 10:40:18 AM »
Milla, I love your orchid and your baby lemon tree! As Susie said, you are going to have a beautiful show of flowers and, if they are like ours, they will last for weeks on end, actually months at this point.

Will your lemon tree blossom, too? I've never seen citrus blossoms so please be sure to post a pic if it does!

DH couldn't make up his mind which orchids to order so I placed an order for four of them for him. I can't remember exactly what I ordered now but they are coming from one of the places you recommended, SusieQ - the one in Illinois. I know I bought a lovely white cattleya and a blue vanda but that's all I remember. They aren't in spike so we get to nurture them along! When they bloom I will be sure to take pictures.
I love cattleyas!  And just adore vandas!!

SusieQ

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #19 on: May 19, 2017, 10:44:29 AM »
SusieQ - I was just watching your Grow Space Update on YouTube and I'm just blown away at the number of orchids you have growing! I haven't had much time to watch your videos or maybe I wouldn't be so surprised. You talked in your video about "bare shelves" but they looked anything but!  Everything looks so well tended, too. I can't imagine how much time you must spend with all of your flowers and plants. We're waiting for our first shipment and feel like getting four new plants is a big deal but they wouldn't even be a drop in the bucket for you.
I kinda do have a lot of orchids.  :heartthrob: I do spend a lot of time on my orchids.  I spend at least an hour a day and most of all day on either Saturday or Sunday.  I cannot wait to see what you and your DH have purchased. You have to show pictures!!

SusieQ

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #20 on: May 19, 2017, 10:54:08 AM »
A neighbor I hadn't met stopped by today and saw our existing orchids in the front window and raved about them. That was fun. I can see myself going down the orchid rabbit hole myself if I'm not careful. I find myself rereading our posts here and following them to places like the Orchid Society of Minnesota. I was ready to join but their membership year ends in June. I wrote to ask if I could join now and pay for next year and a prorated amount for this year but haven't heard back.

Well, back to finish viewing your video. By the way, I love your voice - it's very calm and soothing to listen to your narration.
I'm known as the orchid lady in our neighborhood because you can see my orchids from our front windows.  :grin: It's so much fun when someone notice your orchids and pay you compliments. Once you see the blooms and smell the fragrance of the orchids, there is no going back. We're lucky here that we can join our society at anytime.  I hope you hear from them soon!  I think you and your DH will love it!!

It's funny that one of the biggest complaint that we youtuber makers is the we don't like hearing our voices.  I also don't like the sound of my voice but I really appreciate you saying that, Styyna!  :flowers2: Have a wonderful day!

milla

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #21 on: May 19, 2017, 01:59:14 PM »
SusieQ, Thank you so much for the advice, I have passed it on to DH, who is very grateful.
I have watched your videos , they are very interesting and you have a lovely voice!
Styyna, I don’t know if this little lemon will ever blossom. It would be a miracle!  In my parents’ garden in Portugal we had a lemon tree. It gave two crops a year, excellent fruit, large and beautifully scented. We also had a fig tree, a couple of plum trees, a quince tree and a medlar tree.

Styyna

• Ageless Beauty
  • "steena"
« Reply #22 on: May 20, 2017, 07:19:21 AM »
Milla, I believe in miracles so your lemon tree will bloom. It just needs you to have faith! Your parents' garden sure had a lot of fruits. I can't imagine having fruiting trees like that in my yard since I'm accustomed to the climate in the northern US.

SusieQ, how much light do you give your orchids? Do you vary the amount by type? We are considering getting a light stand for ours so that we can grow them all in one place and showcase them in our dining room (the only room in the main living area with enough space). I'll try to attach a picture of what we're considering.

Our order arrived and I was blown away. I expected little starter plants and instead we got big mature plants. Even the dendrobium that came in a 2.25" pot is so big that it can't stand up without supporting the whole plant and pot - I bet it's a foot tall! The vanda has the beginning of a spike on it even though we ordered all plants that weren't in spike. DH has them under his advanced grow lights downstairs until we figure out a permanent home for them.

ETA: SusieQ, I did pay attention to your post where you shared the lights you use and DH has some LED lights like that but we prefer the overhead fluorescents if possible as, for display purposes, they give a more natural look than the LED lights he's gotten. So my question about how much light pertains to the use of fluorescents. The fixture we're considering has four 4 ft. bulbs on each tier and I'm hoping that would be enough for orchids.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2017, 01:09:18 PM by Styyna »

milla

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #23 on: May 20, 2017, 10:31:04 AM »
That looks lovely!

SusieQ

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #24 on: May 22, 2017, 10:30:18 AM »
Hi Styyna!  That's a nice set up if you have room but you will find your orchid collection growing each year so you have to take that in consideration.  :grin:

Yes, each type of orchid genera will require different light requirement.  For instance cattleya and vanda will require lots of light but not phalaenopsis type of orchid. Milla has a phalaenopsis.  They candle foot lighting to measure light requirement.  Do I go by that...not always. I mean, I'm not exact. You can by gadget to measure light or use the white paper/shadow method but I  opted not  to buy the gadget because a lot of orchids sold now have been hybridized and what may be good for the species may not for the hybridize orchid. Like most plants, your orchid will give you signs when she is unhappy about something.  I'm a bit nutty where I do check my orchids daily.  When you first buy a plant, you inspect it and look at it a lot before you buy it.  When you get it home, you expect that plant to be in the same condition weeks after you've introduced it to your home environment.  If not, it will give you signs and that's where the intranet comes in.  I'm always on the intranet looking and reading.  I also recommend an orchid diary. There are apps out there but I just created a spreadsheet. The name of the orchid, when I purchased it, vendor name - in case I need to order and happy or not with the plant - when it was repotted, when it bloomed and how many blooms, lighting, humidity, watering need, etc.  This helps in case you buy another orchid and you already have the same type. You can refer to the journal about where you need to place it and how much care you need to give it.

If you have not found them yet, I recommend you watch missorchidgirl: https://www.youtube.com/user/MissOrchidGirl She's in another part of the world and she's the one that pushed me down orchid hole!  I no longer watch her as often as I used to but she has great repotting videos. She also started making videos everyday and it just got too much for me. I usually look at the title of the videos and see if I am interested.  Like everything else on the net - take it with a grain of salt.   There is Brads greenhouse. I watched him more now.  There is young man, he is just graduating from high school this month. We've adopted each other.  :lol: He is my orchid son and he calls me his orchid mom: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCpXRn36LefCwgxUJBKcIVRw. If your up to the extreme, there is a girl on youtube that we call the WC Queen!  Water culture (WC) is the current rave now.  Your DH may not want to watch her because I see him as an old school grower.  You may want to take a peak and see her huge success in using only water to grow orchids. You can now go on vacation and not worry about your orchids anymore! I try to watch videos made in the US because that at least gets me close to the same weather and know what type of orchids will more likely to grow in my environment. There is another lady but she gets too loud. She lives in  Florida and her videos are helpful but she's loud and i can only take her once a week. But, she knows her orchids. Let me know if you want to listen to watch her. 

I'm sorry that I gave you so much info.  :grin:

Styyna

• Ageless Beauty
  • "steena"
« Reply #25 on: May 25, 2017, 05:58:07 AM »
Wow, as usual you are just full of great information, Susie!

Diary - I had already thought that this would be a good thing to start but you kind of fleshed out what I need to include in one.

Space for orchids - if we get that fixture it will go in our dining room, in the only space we have for displaying orchids in our main living area. DH has a whole huge underground, heated garage for additional growing space.

But - that growing space is already being sucked up by his budding interest in hydroponics (water culture). He already has numerous small hydroponic gardens growing herbs and starting seeds. He's about to bring two bigger ones into commission with Romaine and a few other vegetables. I wish he had been a bit less haphazard about setting up his gardens down there. They don't use the space very efficiently but it's his lab so I don't say anything.

Videos - I will watch some of the recommended videos. I have a hard time sitting still for videos. I guess they aren't my preferred method of learning though I acknowledge they have a place. Sometimes there's just nothing like seeing and hearing about how to do something. More importantly, I'll share them with DH. I think he likes videos more than I do.

There's no such thing as too much information!! It's one of the things I like most about the world of the internet. If I have a question I can come here or I can go to Google and embark on a learning quest at any time of the day or night.

Thanks again! :)

SusieQ

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #26 on: May 25, 2017, 09:37:12 AM »
SusieQ, Thank you so much for the advice, I have passed it on to DH, who is very grateful.
I have watched your videos , they are very interesting and you have a lovely voice!
Styyna, I don’t know if this little lemon will ever blossom. It would be a miracle!  In my parents’ garden in Portugal we had a lemon tree. It gave two crops a year, excellent fruit, large and beautifully scented. We also had a fig tree, a couple of plum trees, a quince tree and a medlar tree.
I'm sure the orchid will give you and your DH many blooms for many years!  Your lemon tree looks great, mila!  It's a seedling but I would say in a year or two you will have lemons on that tree! 

You're too kind, milla and I do appreciate you watching my videos.   :)

SusieQ

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #27 on: May 25, 2017, 09:44:02 AM »
But - that growing space is already being sucked up by his budding interest in hydroponics (water culture). He already has numerous small hydroponic gardens growing herbs and starting seeds. He's about to bring two bigger ones into commission with Romaine and a few other vegetables. I wish he had been a bit less haphazard about setting up his gardens down there. They don't use the space very efficiently but it's his lab so I don't say anything.
It took me over a year to find the set up that worked for me and the orchids.  Lots of moving things around and buying equipment.  As time goes and as things grow or not grow, your DH's grow space will go through many phases.  Lots of frustration will follow.   :grin:

SusieQ

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #28 on: May 25, 2017, 09:51:59 AM »
Diary - I had already thought that this would be a good thing to start but you kind of fleshed out what I need to include in one.

Videos - I will watch some of the recommended videos. I have a hard time sitting still for videos. I guess they aren't my preferred method of learning though I acknowledge they have a place. Sometimes there's just nothing like seeing and hearing about how to do something. More importantly, I'll share them with DH. I think he likes videos more than I do.

It's hard to keep up with the diary since I like to spend my time with my orchids instead of in front of computer but it's just one of those things that has to be done.  :lol:

I find it difficult sometimes to watch videos, too, and I love orchids!  There is nice gentleman from the UK and has a lovely voice and he is also making videos everyday - he is retired - and have many people subscribe to him.  But, his videos are often half hour long. I just can't commit to that much watching when I have a full time job, family to take care of and hundreds of plants to care for, too.  But, many seems to like watching his videos. I think I try to watch 2 or 3 of his videos a week. Usually during lunch time.  But, it's just too much sometimes.  I think the last time I watched his videos was last week and he already 15 new videos. Maybe when I retire...I'll have more time :lol:

Styyna

• Ageless Beauty
  • "steena"
« Reply #29 on: May 28, 2017, 05:12:55 AM »
Maybe when I retire...I'll have more time :lol:

I wouldn't count on it! I'm finding plenty to occupy my time since mostly retiring! I see this as a time to volunteer and to immerse myself in new hobbies, including orchids. For whatever reason, I am just not a video watcher (except for yours) on a regular basis. It's such a time commitment as you've mentioned. When I sit down with my iPad to look at stuff online I'm generally just passing a few minutes and not planning to be online for any length of time. A 15-minute video doesn't fit with just spending a few minutes online. Especially since one video often leads to another if I want to be thorough.

On the other hand, I'm getting sucked into orchid care. If a diary is to be kept it will be up to me and I find the idea appealing. If I'm to truly become involved there is much to be learned from others and their videos are probably the best way to learn.

SusieQ

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #30 on: May 31, 2017, 10:11:00 AM »

I wouldn't count on it! I'm finding plenty to occupy my time since mostly retiring! I see this as a time to volunteer and to immerse myself in new hobbies, including orchids. For whatever reason, I am just not a video watcher (except for yours) on a regular basis. It's such a time commitment as you've mentioned. When I sit down with my iPad to look at stuff online I'm generally just passing a few minutes and not planning to be online for any length of time. A 15-minute video doesn't fit with just spending a few minutes online. Especially since one video often leads to another if I want to be thorough.

On the other hand, I'm getting sucked into orchid care. If a diary is to be kept it will be up to me and I find the idea appealing. If I'm to truly become involved there is much to be learned from others and their videos are probably the best way to learn.
I usually watch the videos if the subject matte appeals to me or if it's one of favorite youtubers.  But, yes, I've learned so much by watching and I usually watched based on my current need. For instance, if a need to find more info on a particular orchid I recently purchased, I will spend the time and take notes but it's usually late at night when I get a chance to do this. I hope all is well with your new orchids and the basement grow space.  :)

milla

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #31 on: May 31, 2017, 01:37:07 PM »
DH's pet orchid is blooming! I need to post another photo. Actually, that is my orchid. My neighbour gave it to me when I had my op, that was February 2016. It looks amazing... and I thought it would never bloom again!

SusieQ

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #32 on: June 04, 2017, 11:07:51 AM »
I can't wait to see the picture, mill!  I'll post some pictures of my orchids blooming.  :)

SusieQ

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #33 on: June 04, 2017, 11:23:34 AM »
This is a Phalaneopsis species - Joy Fairy Tale 'Joy'.   The blooms are still going strong and there is a slight scent - floral. She's a beauty.  I purchased her last year and this is her first  bloom for me.

She's one of my favorite, who am I kidding, they're all my favorites!

Styyna

• Ageless Beauty
  • "steena"
« Reply #34 on: June 05, 2017, 06:27:40 AM »
Beautiful! Well worth the wait. I hope that your Phal holds its blooms and scent for a long time!

SusanG

• Platinum Member
« Reply #35 on: June 06, 2017, 09:32:49 PM »
This is a Phalaneopsis species - Joy Fairy Tale 'Joy'.   The blooms are still going strong and there is a slight scent - floral. She's a beauty.  I purchased her last year and this is her first  bloom for me.

She's one of my favorite, who am I kidding, they're all my favorites!

Look at those colours! She's gorgeous!
  • Complexion: Fair: MAC NC15, Ivory in Dior
  • Eyes: Blue
  • Hair: Natural light brown with a little silver, pixie cut

SusieQ

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #36 on: June 08, 2017, 11:46:14 AM »
Thank you, ladies!!  I'm waiting for my chocolate orchid to bloom so that I can take picture.

Styyna

• Ageless Beauty
  • "steena"
« Reply #37 on: July 17, 2017, 07:48:57 PM »
We finally have an orchid blooming that wasn't in bloom when we got it! It's a cattleya but I can't remember which one off the top of my head. It's not uncommon. I'm attaching a photo of it but it's not very good. There are two blossoms and two buds.

We also have four new plants in isolation that I fear may not make it. They came from Louisiana and one had a black spot on it when we received it. The seller refunded the cost of that plant. Unfortunately, the other three plants have spots on them now, too. DH is researching what that might be to see if there is a way to treat them. Any tips, SusieQ, on diagnosing black spots?

milla

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #38 on: July 18, 2017, 02:58:40 AM »
Our orchid had so many flowers that the stem broke. I am not sure what to do next, but the orchid is my husband's pet, so I am sure he will do something! Your orchid looks beautiful Styyna.

Styyna

• Ageless Beauty
  • "steena"
« Reply #39 on: July 18, 2017, 05:55:05 AM »
We received an orchid with a stem partially broken and DH fixed it up with some tape and a toothpick used like a splint. So far it seems to be doing well.

milla

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #40 on: July 18, 2017, 08:25:31 AM »
That is an idea! I'll tell DH.

SusieQ

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #41 on: July 21, 2017, 10:28:47 AM »
We finally have an orchid blooming that wasn't in bloom when we got it! It's a cattleya but I can't remember which one off the top of my head. It's not uncommon. I'm attaching a photo of it but it's not very good. There are two blossoms and two buds.

We also have four new plants in isolation that I fear may not make it. They came from Louisiana and one had a black spot on it when we received it. The seller refunded the cost of that plant. Unfortunately, the other three plants have spots on them now, too. DH is researching what that might be to see if there is a way to treat them. Any tips, SusieQ, on diagnosing black spots?
Beautiful!  I love cattleyas!!  They have the "rabbit nose" and just think they are the cutest.  It's hard to say what the black spots are since some genus will have black spots on old leaves naturally.  But, you can try either rubbing alcohol or Hydrogen Peroxide.  Can you take picture and let me know what type of orchids they are? :)

milla

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #42 on: July 21, 2017, 12:02:49 PM »
Keep posting these gorgeous pictures, it is such an inspiration!

Styyna

• Ageless Beauty
  • "steena"
« Reply #43 on: July 21, 2017, 05:24:51 PM »
A couple of pictures:

The first is of a diseased dendrobium to show the dark spots and yellowing leaf.

The second is the latest picture of the cattleya I shared earlier with the two buds in bloom as of last night. It's interesting that the two newest blossoms are tinged a green color next to the white of the earlier blossoms. We are wondering if that green will fade to white with some time.

The quality of both photos is diminished somewhat by saving them as smaller files. If they aren't clear enough I will get the full-sized photos and upload them when DH gets home.

SusieQ

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #44 on: July 24, 2017, 04:56:34 PM »
The dendrobium leaf is from an old cane(?) and that's probably just dying off and going to it's normal phase.  Usually, if something is diseased, it will take less than a day for this leaf to turn black.  If you're concern, you can cut the leaf, spray the open wound with hydrogen and top it off with some ground cinnamon. Keep an eye out on the on the new growth and its leaves.

The cattleya is sooo pretty.  Well done to you both!!   If you trace  this cattelya's parentage, you may find that one of it's parent had some green on the sepals or petals. Some blooms will go from one color to another as they mature. Some blooms will start out one color and on their way out, it will be another color - red at early stage, per say and orange before it dies. It's all the hybridizing. One of the parents of your cattleya may have a bloom that last longer than a normal cattleya but has some green in its bloom so the green gene is carried over to your cattleya.  Next bloom, you may not see the green at all due to climate. The orchid world is quite fascinating!  :wink: