News: The Timeless Beauty is a forum for women over 40.
Chat with us about makeup, skin care, or whatever is on your mind.
Free and open membership. Never any ads. Privacy always respected.
Interested? Read here and/or here. Or just register!

Author Topic: Orchids  (Read 1194 times)

SusieQ

• Ageless Beauty
Re: Orchids
« Reply #30 on: May 31, 2017, 10:11:00 AM »

I wouldn't count on it! I'm finding plenty to occupy my time since mostly retiring! I see this as a time to volunteer and to immerse myself in new hobbies, including orchids. For whatever reason, I am just not a video watcher (except for yours) on a regular basis. It's such a time commitment as you've mentioned. When I sit down with my iPad to look at stuff online I'm generally just passing a few minutes and not planning to be online for any length of time. A 15-minute video doesn't fit with just spending a few minutes online. Especially since one video often leads to another if I want to be thorough.

On the other hand, I'm getting sucked into orchid care. If a diary is to be kept it will be up to me and I find the idea appealing. If I'm to truly become involved there is much to be learned from others and their videos are probably the best way to learn.
I usually watch the videos if the subject matte appeals to me or if it's one of favorite youtubers.  But, yes, I've learned so much by watching and I usually watched based on my current need. For instance, if a need to find more info on a particular orchid I recently purchased, I will spend the time and take notes but it's usually late at night when I get a chance to do this. I hope all is well with your new orchids and the basement grow space.  :)
  • Complexion: Medium/Combination
  • Eyes: Brown
  • Hair: Black w/waves

milla

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #31 on: May 31, 2017, 01:37:07 PM »
DH's pet orchid is blooming! I need to post another photo. Actually, that is my orchid. My neighbour gave it to me when I had my op, that was February 2016. It looks amazing... and I thought it would never bloom again!

SusieQ

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #32 on: June 04, 2017, 11:07:51 AM »
I can't wait to see the picture, mill!  I'll post some pictures of my orchids blooming.  :)

SusieQ

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #33 on: June 04, 2017, 11:23:34 AM »
This is a Phalaneopsis species - Joy Fairy Tale 'Joy'.   The blooms are still going strong and there is a slight scent - floral. She's a beauty.  I purchased her last year and this is her first  bloom for me.

She's one of my favorite, who am I kidding, they're all my favorites!

Styyna

• Ageless Beauty
  • "steena"
« Reply #34 on: June 05, 2017, 06:27:40 AM »
Beautiful! Well worth the wait. I hope that your Phal holds its blooms and scent for a long time!
  • Complexion: NW10; slight rosacea; dry
  • Eyes: Blue-gray
  • Hair: Dark blonde with slight gray, thick, wavy, dry
To be kind to all, to like many and love a few, to be needed and wanted by those we love, is certainly the nearest we can come to happiness. - Mary Stuart

SusanG

• Platinum Member
« Reply #35 on: June 06, 2017, 09:32:49 PM »
This is a Phalaneopsis species - Joy Fairy Tale 'Joy'.   The blooms are still going strong and there is a slight scent - floral. She's a beauty.  I purchased her last year and this is her first  bloom for me.

She's one of my favorite, who am I kidding, they're all my favorites!

Look at those colours! She's gorgeous!
  • Complexion: Fair: MAC NC15, Ivory in Dior
  • Eyes: Blue
  • Hair: Natural light brown with a little silver, pixie cut

SusieQ

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #36 on: June 08, 2017, 11:46:14 AM »
Thank you, ladies!!  I'm waiting for my chocolate orchid to bloom so that I can take picture.

Styyna

• Ageless Beauty
  • "steena"
« Reply #37 on: July 17, 2017, 07:48:57 PM »
We finally have an orchid blooming that wasn't in bloom when we got it! It's a cattleya but I can't remember which one off the top of my head. It's not uncommon. I'm attaching a photo of it but it's not very good. There are two blossoms and two buds.

We also have four new plants in isolation that I fear may not make it. They came from Louisiana and one had a black spot on it when we received it. The seller refunded the cost of that plant. Unfortunately, the other three plants have spots on them now, too. DH is researching what that might be to see if there is a way to treat them. Any tips, SusieQ, on diagnosing black spots?
To be kind to all, to like many and love a few, to be needed and wanted by those we love, is certainly the nearest we can come to happiness. - Mary Stuart

milla

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #38 on: July 18, 2017, 02:58:40 AM »
Our orchid had so many flowers that the stem broke. I am not sure what to do next, but the orchid is my husband's pet, so I am sure he will do something! Your orchid looks beautiful Styyna.

Styyna

• Ageless Beauty
  • "steena"
« Reply #39 on: July 18, 2017, 05:55:05 AM »
We received an orchid with a stem partially broken and DH fixed it up with some tape and a toothpick used like a splint. So far it seems to be doing well.

milla

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #40 on: July 18, 2017, 08:25:31 AM »
That is an idea! I'll tell DH.

SusieQ

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #41 on: July 21, 2017, 10:28:47 AM »
We finally have an orchid blooming that wasn't in bloom when we got it! It's a cattleya but I can't remember which one off the top of my head. It's not uncommon. I'm attaching a photo of it but it's not very good. There are two blossoms and two buds.

We also have four new plants in isolation that I fear may not make it. They came from Louisiana and one had a black spot on it when we received it. The seller refunded the cost of that plant. Unfortunately, the other three plants have spots on them now, too. DH is researching what that might be to see if there is a way to treat them. Any tips, SusieQ, on diagnosing black spots?
Beautiful!  I love cattleyas!!  They have the "rabbit nose" and just think they are the cutest.  It's hard to say what the black spots are since some genus will have black spots on old leaves naturally.  But, you can try either rubbing alcohol or Hydrogen Peroxide.  Can you take picture and let me know what type of orchids they are? :)

milla

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #42 on: July 21, 2017, 12:02:49 PM »
Keep posting these gorgeous pictures, it is such an inspiration!

Styyna

• Ageless Beauty
  • "steena"
« Reply #43 on: July 21, 2017, 05:24:51 PM »
A couple of pictures:

The first is of a diseased dendrobium to show the dark spots and yellowing leaf.

The second is the latest picture of the cattleya I shared earlier with the two buds in bloom as of last night. It's interesting that the two newest blossoms are tinged a green color next to the white of the earlier blossoms. We are wondering if that green will fade to white with some time.

The quality of both photos is diminished somewhat by saving them as smaller files. If they aren't clear enough I will get the full-sized photos and upload them when DH gets home.

SusieQ

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #44 on: July 24, 2017, 04:56:34 PM »
The dendrobium leaf is from an old cane(?) and that's probably just dying off and going to it's normal phase.  Usually, if something is diseased, it will take less than a day for this leaf to turn black.  If you're concern, you can cut the leaf, spray the open wound with hydrogen and top it off with some ground cinnamon. Keep an eye out on the on the new growth and its leaves.

The cattleya is sooo pretty.  Well done to you both!!   If you trace  this cattelya's parentage, you may find that one of it's parent had some green on the sepals or petals. Some blooms will go from one color to another as they mature. Some blooms will start out one color and on their way out, it will be another color - red at early stage, per say and orange before it dies. It's all the hybridizing. One of the parents of your cattleya may have a bloom that last longer than a normal cattleya but has some green in its bloom so the green gene is carried over to your cattleya.  Next bloom, you may not see the green at all due to climate. The orchid world is quite fascinating!  :wink: