News: The Timeless Beauty is a forum for women over 40.
Chat with us about makeup, skin care, or whatever is on your mind.
Free and open membership. Never any ads. Privacy always respected.
Interested? Read here and/or here. Or just register!

Author Topic: not so ordinary...  (Read 585 times)

milla

• Ageless Beauty
not so ordinary...
« on: April 28, 2017, 03:48:55 PM »
A while ago I posted something about The Ordinary , a company that seems to have taken the UK by storm. For once I agree with all the hype. The products are excellent and the prices are very accessible. I have started with the ‘Buffet’ serum, their most expensive product and the only one that has a ‘name’. The name is meant to be a bit of a joke because the serum  contains a vast array of good ingredients. All the other products are simply named after the main ingredient: Retinoid, Hyaluronic Acid, Vitamin C…  The package is very simple: most products are sold in small bottles with a dropper or in a tube. I have not seen them advertised (I tell a lie, I do remember seeing a small advert in a newspaper supplement, but that is all). I am not sure how the word got around, but a while ago all the beauty editors were writing about them. I bought first on line, but the company has opened a shop in London, near a market that I visit often on Sundays. I am still using Buffet daily but I have added the Hyaluronic Acid and Retinoid 2% to my routine. I have also bought their high Spreadability primer, which is very good. Other than that, I am still using Toleriane by La Roche Posay to cleanse and Una Brennan Vitamin C Cleansing oil, which I love. Are the  products any good? Well I think so.  Buffet has definitely made a difference to my skin’s texture, pores are less visible and I wake up with rather…nice skin! The Ordinary has just released two types of Foundation, a coverage Foundation and a Serum Foundation. They cost just over £5, that’s is about $6.48 and they have an SPF 15. Would love to try them but I have read in a review that they contain bismuth oxychloride, which can be irritating. However, I read the list of ingredients and the bismuth oxychloride comes right at the end so it cannot be too bad… Have you tried any new products lately?

cara4art

• Ageless Beauty
Re: not so ordinary...
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2017, 10:17:22 AM »
People have been talking about The Ordinary over here on this side of the pond too, over on MUA. In general, sounds like some excellent products at very fair price points - what's not to love about that, once one has found something that agrees with their skin. Yes, the combo of Vitamin C and some sort of retinoid as well as hyaluronic acid - those ingredients are among the few that actually do have a track record. I don't use The Ordinary myself, but my Curology Rx that I've been on for a little over 2 years now has Retin-A(my Rx has been moved up twice), Vitamin C, and niacinamide. This has been answered prayers for me for night-time to improve skin, along with a separate very fairly-priced Vitamin C serum during the day under other stuff. But yes, The Ordinary is getting some great reviews!:)

milla

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2017, 11:17:20 AM »
Well, these products don’t cost the earth, the package is simple and they are not called  silly,  preposterous names like Baby Bottom Skin Miraculous Elixir. I am very pleased with the results and I intend to carry on using them. Cara, where do you buy your Curology products? I have looked online but I have only seen reviews, not an actual site.

Styyna

• Ageless Beauty
  • "steena"
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2017, 02:33:42 PM »
I haven't seen or heard of The Ordinary. Now that it's on my radar I'll keep my eyes open as I use up existing products. I don't even know where one finds that brand but I'll figure it out. Thanks for putting something that sounds quite sensible on my radar.
  • Complexion: NW10; slight rosacea; dry
  • Eyes: Blue-gray
  • Hair: Dark blonde with slight gray, thick, wavy, dry
To be kind to all, to like many and love a few, to be needed and wanted by those we love, is certainly the nearest we can come to happiness. - Mary Stuart

milla

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2017, 02:51:36 AM »
It is a Canadian company, I think. I started buying it on line, but now they have a shop in London and I like going to the shops as you know  :wink: I am sure that you can buy them on line too.

cara4art

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2017, 11:47:29 AM »
@milla: Curology is an online dermatology service started by a small dermatology group in San Diego, CA that is licensed for many US states, so I don't know about international. Anyhow Curology has two arms - one for acne, that they started out their online endeavor, and one for anti-aging(which I'm in). When one signs up, one fills out a pretty detailed questionnaire, and uploads three close-up views of one's totally bare clean face - no products whatsoever on it. Front, and both side views, face filling whole frame. Believe me, those clinical-type of photos can make one cry - but no one else sees them save for the dermatologist or RN provider that is assigned to you. Based on the photos, and one's responses to the questionnaire, they then prescribe a formula for one. Their basic anti-aging formula consists of some strength of Retin-A, Vitamin C, and niacinamide. Since I have somewhat reactive skin, they started me off with a low strength of the Retin-A in with the other two ingredients, which remain constant. Since I took it slow with frequency of application working up to nightly, I've been moved up twice in Retin-A strength since that initial Rx. I'm in the midst of working up on that third strength(0.035% Retin-A), now using two nights on, one off. Very soon, I'll be up to 3 nights running, one off. My skin has been fine with this!:) It's free to sign up, and after once is on the program it's subscription-based at US $19.95 a month, which is very affordable for something that actually works. It's been answered prayers for me, actually.:)

Styyna

• Ageless Beauty
  • "steena"
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2017, 07:03:16 AM »
I found The Ordinary at an online site, ASOS. Initially it defaulted to a UK site but I was able to make it switch to a US version of the site. The low prices are noteworthy as is the ability to select specific treatments rather than having all-in-one products. I still have skincare products to use up but I know what I'll try next, barring something even better coming along in the meantime.
To be kind to all, to like many and love a few, to be needed and wanted by those we love, is certainly the nearest we can come to happiness. - Mary Stuart

milla

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2017, 03:19:08 AM »
If you decide to give them a go, Buffet is a very good way to start. I love it and if I had to give up all my skin care routine and keep just two products, I would keep Buffet and Una Brennan Vitamin C Cleansing Oil!

SusieQ

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2017, 12:01:03 PM »
If you decide to give them a go, Buffet is a very good way to start. I love it and if I had to give up all my skin care routine and keep just two products, I would keep Buffet and Una Brennan Vitamin C Cleansing Oil!
That's quite an endorsement, milla!  This brand is now on my radar. I'll check them out. Thanks, milla!!
  • Complexion: Medium/Combination
  • Eyes: Brown
  • Hair: Black w/waves

Styyna

• Ageless Beauty
  • "steena"
« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2017, 04:14:09 PM »
I went back and reread about The Ordinary and Buffet and I must say, it sounds like a good product and well worth the $17.00 that it costs online here in the US. It's at the top of my list of products to try!

milla

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2017, 11:07:31 AM »
I have been back to the shop, to have a look at the foundations (which are supposed to be very good). They did not have any in stock; apparently they just flew off the shelves! They are waiting for more. I did buy another product, have a look below:
https://www.victoriahealth.com/product/100-Plant-Derived-Squalane/12308

ILuvLucy

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #11 on: May 31, 2017, 07:01:48 AM »
Milla, do you know if they have something for around the eyes? I want something to help with crepeyness (I know that is not a word, but don't know how else to describe it).
  • Complexion: Light/Medium
  • Eyes: Blue
  • Hair: Blonde/Thin/Straight
"A mysterious expression will add a lovely sheen to your complexion" --Nancy Drew in The Clue of the Velvet Mask

milla

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #12 on: May 31, 2017, 01:46:48 PM »
Ah, for the perfect eye cream! (sighs)
I think they have got something but the reviews are not as enthusiastic as the ones I have read for the other products. Here it is:
https://www.victoriahealth.com/product/Caffeine-Solution-5-EGCG/12237/brand/The-Ordinary/1053
I might give it a go, as it is not too expensive, but I am not expecting miracles...