News: The Timeless Beauty is a forum for women over 40.
Chat with us about makeup, skin care, or whatever is on your mind.
Free and open membership. Never any ads. Privacy always respected.
Interested? Read here and/or here. Or just register!

Author Topic: Hair Products That Seem to Stop Working  (Read 296 times)

ILuvLucy

• Ageless Beauty
Hair Products That Seem to Stop Working
« on: May 05, 2017, 07:52:36 AM »
Somethimes I'll find a product that seems to be great, but then after awhile, doesn't do what it used to.  I don't mean due to build-up.  I understand about using a clarifying shampoo, so it's not that.
I wonder if it could be caused by the changing season? Or more of something to do with my particular hair?  I dont' know. 
For instance, I had great success with J. Frieda's 7-Day Volume Treatment for awhile, then I didn't.  I always buy it at the same store.
  • Complexion: Light/Medium
  • Eyes: Blue
  • Hair: Blonde/Thin/Straight
"A mysterious expression will add a lovely sheen to your complexion" --Nancy Drew in The Clue of the Velvet Mask

cara4art

• Ageless Beauty
Re: Hair Products That Seem to Stop Working
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2017, 09:47:48 AM »
Even though you mention being aware of build-up, more often than not, it IS a contributing factor. However, if one is changing seasons and the humidity level changes along with temperature, then it's quite possible that a product that was fine before, just isn't right now. Also, keep in mind that volumizing products can be drying on mature hair. A double-edged sword, as many women at this stage of the game have thinning, or finer hair, thus seeking more volume and body, hence the looking for and using volumizing products. Also, try using a protein deep treatment - this often brings hair back to life, and is essential if one colors one's hair. But don't use the protein treatment more than once a month or so, as one can easily overdo that too. After a protein treatment be sure to use a moisturizing deep conditioner, unless a mask type of product has both protein and moisture in it, which any number of do now. Or, maybe the John Frieda thing changed the formula - companies do this all the time such that a favorite product is new and crappier. Hope this helps!

milla

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2017, 01:34:21 PM »
ILLucy, I find that what you say re. shampoos and conditioners is quite true. I wonder if it is just our hair that changes with the seasons? For example,  I always notice some hair loss at the end of summer, I mean, when I wash my hair.  Perhaps we need to change the products every now and again. When you go to the hairdressers, is there something that they use that you like? It might be a good idea to invest  in a professional shampoo and conditioner. As for hair masks, I use them very  occasionally,  as I have not got the time or the inclination to go around with my head wrapped in cling film for an afternoon.
A shop assistant told me a while ago that the best product for dry hair is Philip Kingsley’s Elasticizer, but you must apply it before going to bed and leave it on all night! I cannot face that sort of thing, I just want to have a good night sleep ...

cara4art

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2017, 09:42:42 AM »
With masks, I've never wrapped my hair up although I've heard on should, and even apply heat somehow. I can't go to all that trouble - I just use the mask on wet hair after shampooing, and leave it on for a half-hour while I'm doing other things around the house. I can do that as I never wash my hair in shower, always in kitchen sink.

ILuvLucy

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2017, 10:11:17 AM »
Thanks for the advice & suggestions, Cara & Milla.  Maybe I will stop in at Sally's & see what they have.  I haven't been there in awhile, but I know they used to have various types of treatments sold individually in packets.
I'm with you -- I'm not the type to sleep with a hair mask either!  :)
  • Complexion: Light/Medium
  • Eyes: Blue
  • Hair: Blonde/Thin/Straight
"A mysterious expression will add a lovely sheen to your complexion" --Nancy Drew in The Clue of the Velvet Mask

milla

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2017, 02:12:23 PM »
That sounds just right-like this you can try different things and see what suits you best.

eeemm

« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2017, 11:53:41 AM »
I have the habit of alternating my hair products as I realised that they seem to get less effective if I use them continuously use them for months. And it seems to work well that well.