News: The Timeless Beauty is a forum for women over 40.
Chat with us about makeup, skin care, or whatever is on your mind.
Free and open membership. Never any ads. Privacy always respected.
Interested? Read here and/or here. Or just register!

Author Topic: the seven deadly sins  (Read 180 times)

chataround

• Gold Member
the seven deadly sins
« on: May 28, 2017, 12:28:01 PM »

Which one do you struggle with the most as a midlife woman, and why?

pride, covetousness, lust, anger, gluttony, envy, and sloth.

• Complexion: very fair, some slight rosacea
  • Eyes: hazel
  • Hair: slightly wavy, shoulder length, soft black
"Taking joy in living is a woman's best cosmetic."
                   - Rosalind Russell

milla

• Ageless Beauty
Re: the seven deadly sins
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2017, 03:24:27 AM »

This is an interesting question, thank you for posting it.
I don’t think I am excessively proud. I acknowledge my mistakes and I have always been able to apologise. I have been taught from an early age not to boast. But if by ‘pride’ you read ‘self-esteem’ and a lack of self-pity then I can be a bit proud. You probably need it a bit in your mid/old age, otherwise people can treat you as a doormat…
I don’t covet anything and I am not envious. It is a pure waste of time. The best things in life are not things; money cannot buy you happiness, even if it allows you to be miserable in comfort. I have a roof over my head, food on the table, health care when I need it and a little bit for extras, and I am perfectly happy with my lot. If only every human being could say the same.
Lust? I should be so lucky! I have been through the menopause and  I am on an oestrogen-inhibitor tablet to prevent cancer recurrence. I have not given up on that side of my marriage, but it is not exactly a big firework display, more like a cosy fireplace, or a nice, scented  candle...
Gluttony has never been a problem. I love good food but I know when I have had enough. If anything, I eat and drink less. Sloth is not a problem, either; my energy levels are a bit inconsistent, I have peaks and troughs, but I still manage to keep myself occupied.
Before I start looking like a saint and my dazzling aura starts playing havoc with your screens, I have got to tell you that I am not anger-free.  I do lose my temper occasionally; never been able to ‘suffer fools gladly’, I'm afraid. I am working on it though, as I don’t want to end up a crabby, finger-wagging, angry hag. :wink:

ILuvLucy

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2017, 07:11:04 AM »
Well I have lots of faults. Just ask my family - they will tell you! But I don't think they are of the Seven Deadlly Sins nature.  If I could add one to the list, it would be Regrets.   
  • Complexion: Light/Medium
  • Eyes: Blue
  • Hair: Blonde/Thin/Straight
"A mysterious expression will add a lovely sheen to your complexion" --Nancy Drew in The Clue of the Velvet Mask

milla

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2017, 09:49:33 AM »
Regretting is not a fault. Everybody feels a bit wistful sometimes. I used to think a lot about what I called my ‘missed’ opportunities: if I had done this, that or the other I could have been a lot more successful in my career. Well, a week or so ago something happened that just hit me like a bolt out of the blue. I was in shock for a couple of days; I just did not know what I was doing. This is what happened: I decided to check out an old friend, a girl I met in my early 20s. She was a very single-minded, highly ambitious career girl. When  I met her I was in awe of her. Unfortunately we fell out and I lost touch with her (it is a long story…), but over the years, I sort of followed her ascent; she became quite successful financially, but never got married and did not have children. She told me once that she would only have children if she was in a ‘perfect’ relationship. She wanted to find her soul-mate. I know she terminated a pregnancy  because it was not the right time to have a child. Well, as I said, I tried to find out what had happened to her. It did not take me very long. I found myself staring at her funeral announcement in a newspaper, on my screen. She died in 2015 of metastatic cancer, aged 68, on her own. How do I know this? I contacted a common friend who confirmed that she had died but he had only found out recently, because she had lost touch with all her friends. She did not have friends or family; she had business partners, which is not the same, is it? I am telling you this not as a cautionary tale but just to make sense of it. I haven’t even told my husband. He never met her.

Styyna

• Ageless Beauty
  • "steena"
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2017, 05:27:29 AM »
Aw, Milla, I'm so sorry to hear about your old friend. I suppose her story can still be a cautionary tale. It's never too late to reassess our priorities and make sure we have them set right.

As for the seven deadly sins, I think I hold up pretty well with the exception of sloth. I've struggled with depression (serious clinical type) ever since I can remember. It's just that it wasn't diagnosed until my late 30s. Coping techniques that I developed early on included withdrawing and finding stillness within. On top of that, by the time I was in first grade I was convinced (for reasons I don't know) that I was physically inferior. Those two things have conspired to cause me to lead a very sedentary lifestyle. It's very hard to make myself get up and get the exercise that I know I so desperately need. I keep trying and failing to make exercise a regular part of my daily life. I haven't completely given up though. I want to start going to the gym again this month. I will have to start all over from square one but at least I'll start!
  • Complexion: NW10; slight rosacea; dry
  • Eyes: Blue-gray
  • Hair: Dark blonde with slight gray, thick, wavy, dry
To be kind to all, to like many and love a few, to be needed and wanted by those we love, is certainly the nearest we can come to happiness. - Mary Stuart