News: The Timeless Beauty is a forum for women over 40.
Chat with us about makeup, skin care, or whatever is on your mind.
Free and open membership. Never any ads. Privacy always respected.
Interested? Read here and/or here. Or just register!

Author Topic: Reading club?  (Read 493 times)

milla

• Ageless Beauty
Reading club?
« on: July 01, 2017, 02:33:21 AM »
I know that most of us love reading so may I suggest that we start a ‘reading club’ ? Anyone interested can suggest a book that we all can get hold of easily (for me it will be more of an incentive to use my nearest public library) and we could give ourselves, say,  3 weeks to a month to read it. Then we would all come together and discuss it?

Styyna

• Ageless Beauty
  • "steena"
Re: Reading club?
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2017, 05:55:08 AM »
I like this idea. I've been away from reading for some time. It will be fun but challenging to work it back into my daily life.

Desert Queen: The Extraordinary Life of Gertrude Bell: Adventurer, Adviser to Kings, Ally of Lawrence of Arabia is a book that I'm picking up at the library shortly. A very good friend recommended it to me and I trust her recommendations without question. So, if that's available to others, that would be my suggestion for a book either now or down the road.

I think I can check books out for three weeks so I'm good with either three weeks or a month for reading each book.

Thanks for presenting your idea, Milla!

• Complexion: NW10; slight rosacea; dry
  • Eyes: Blue-gray
  • Hair: Dark blonde with slight gray, thick, wavy, dry
To be kind to all, to like many and love a few, to be needed and wanted by those we love, is certainly the nearest we can come to happiness. - Mary Stuart

milla

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2017, 04:34:46 PM »
I am going to see if I can get it on kindle. If not, I will check the local library.

Styyna

• Ageless Beauty
  • "steena"
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2017, 07:20:32 AM »
The book was checked out at my library so I ordered it for my iPad (using the Kindle app) so that I could take it with me on a knitting retreat last weekend. Unfortunately I didn't find time to read the entire weekend so I'm going to start the book this week. Did you find it either on Kindle or at your library?

If not, or even if you did, I'm also open to reading something else for our first book. Please don't feel that one suggestion means we should start there! I'm flexible!
To be kind to all, to like many and love a few, to be needed and wanted by those we love, is certainly the nearest we can come to happiness. - Mary Stuart

milla

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2017, 11:34:07 AM »
I would love to read the book about Gertrude Bell! I love non-fiction. I have been a bit busy lately and I haven’t been able to check the local library, but I will go there tomorrow.

milla

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2017, 02:55:48 AM »
I bought the book for my kindle, and started reading it yesterday on the train, coming home from my son's. So far, so good; it seems very interesting. It is obvious that the author is in awe of G. Bell, but  then again, what an extraordinary woman.

Styyna

• Ageless Beauty
  • "steena"
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2017, 05:23:29 AM »
Oh, I better get back to the book! I started it and then set it aside to attend a knitting retreat and have been a knitting fool ever since. I'm looking forward to digging in.

Styyna

• Ageless Beauty
  • "steena"
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2017, 02:23:23 PM »
A quick heads up...I am knitting a baby blanket for my niece who is due in about two weeks and all my available waking moments are going into that. If I keep up the pace I will finish in good time and be able to pick up the book again and devote just as much time to it. But it will probably be a couple of weeks before I finish it at the earliest.

milla

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2017, 04:00:51 AM »
Don't worry it will take me ages. I have not been knitting lately, I have two small projects that I should finish before starting a new one. Lately I have been sewing quite a bit, only simple things like skirts and tops. I read  a bit at night before going to sleep.Hope you will show us the baby blanket!

Styyna

• Ageless Beauty
  • "steena"
« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2017, 04:08:41 AM »
I confess that I am relieved to read your words! I was feeling pretty rotten that I agreed to read a book on top of my knitting commitment. I don't know what I was thinking but there's no way to finish both in two weeks.

I'll share a pic of the baby blanket when it's finished if you'll share one of your sewing! :)

milla

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2017, 12:00:54 PM »
Deal! :wink:

SusieQ

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #11 on: July 24, 2017, 05:06:28 PM »
I hope other people joins this reading club. It really fun!  :) I would but I have three clubs at work I joined. My orchids and youtube and I've decided to do a decluttering of my home. I've done one tiny section and it has take me a day and a bag full of garbage. I hope to be done by Christmas. :)  Oh, yeah, still have the rest of the backyard to finish.  :meditate:
  • Complexion: Medium/Combination
  • Eyes: Brown
  • Hair: Black w/waves

milla

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #12 on: September 14, 2017, 09:47:31 AM »
I am still reading 'Gertrude Bell', but I have started reading a few other things in between! I am terrible. How are you getting on with the book, Styyna?

SilverCrown

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: September 18, 2017, 06:05:23 AM »
I am equally terrible. I've been distracted by knitting. I finished the baby blanket weeks ago and am just today about to soak and block it, hoping that it's dry by tomorrow when I pack it up to take on the road. I'm meeting a knitting friend in person for the first time and spending a couple of days with her at a resort midway between our homes. Then, on Thursday when she and I part ways, I'll visit my niece on my way home to meet her baby and give her the blanket.

Meanwhile, I started a sweater that I had hoped to take to a shindig I'm attending at the end of next month. I became increasingly unhappy with the color as I worked on it and have now, after knitting about half of it, finally decided that I will never wear it and so it's a waste of time and good yarn. I'm dithering about starting a new sweater, same pattern but different color. I don't think I can finish it in time for the shindig but maybe....

My eyes have been exhausted at the end of each day of knitting so reading has been very sporadic.

Are you reading anything else that's more riveting? I'm not wedded to our current book. In fact, it's been such a struggle to find time and energy to read it that it's lost some of its luster for me. I will, however, finish it if you wish to do so, too.
-SilverCrown

milla

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #14 on: September 21, 2017, 03:36:30 PM »
I have found bits of it very interesting; in fact I think I will discuss it with my son, who is the historian in our family. I am always looking for materials that will help me understand the Arab question. It is a subject that I find quite puzzling and I must say that this book has not enlighten me any further, it just confirms what I already knew: that certain countries have always been war zones and that certain  tribes have been at each other’s throats since biblical times. I know this is a bit simplistic (that is why I want to find out more…). I found Gertrude’s upbringing and her family  history worth reading about because it is closer to home and these are themes that I understand and relate to, like the conditions of factory workers in the mid to late 19th century. I have found Gertrude’s stance on the women’s fight for the right to vote very controversial. I am now reading about her action during WWI, which was quite remarkable.
 At first I thought that the author was a bit sycophantic, but as you I read on, her views become a lot more balanced; she shows Gertrude’s vulnerability as well as her strength. 
The other book I read was ‘Swing  time’, by Zadie Smith:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zadie_Smith
 I did not like it as much as ‘White Teeth’ and I struggled to finish it.
I am not starting any books until I finish Gertrude Bell’s biography. I have resumed my child-minding duties and I am staying at my son’s two nights a week. The only other books I have been reading are children’s books and very enjoyable they are, too!