News: The Timeless Beauty is a forum for women over 40.
Chat with us about makeup, skin care, or whatever is on your mind.
Free and open membership. Never any ads. Privacy always respected.
Interested? Read here and/or here. Or just register!

Author Topic: trying scents  (Read 819 times)

milla

• Ageless Beauty
trying scents
« on: July 01, 2017, 03:10:31 AM »
Having decided that I am going to be a ‘proper’ parfumista (i.e. I am going to try on scents and make notes in a booklet…I know… utterly frivolous, but a little frivolity does you good!), I have tested one new scent and another one that I sniffed before.
The new one:
Cartier L’Envol (EDP):  The top note is honey, definitely, but it dries to a woody, musky  scent on me. Apparently it was designed as a masculine fragrance, but I don’t find it overtly  masculine. While not unpleasant, I did not find it exciting and did not last long.
The ‘old one’:
Estee Lauder Bronze Goddess (EDP). This is the sort of scent that I would have loved some 40 years ago  in the summer, with my tan (now I know better than to expose myself to the sun). It is supposed to be a white floral, ??? but I get a lot of coconut and  vanilla. However, it is much more complex as it dries down; it is an elegant fragrance. Definitely a summer/beach/sun and sand scent as far as my uneducated nose can tell, but it could be worn also on a pleasantly warm Autumn  day in the city. I like it a lot,  and if I had a pot of money to splash on a ‘scent collection’ I would certainly include it in it.

Styyna

• Ageless Beauty
  • "steena"
Re: trying scents
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2017, 06:05:22 AM »
I don't think this is a frivolous activity at all! Testing scents properly, for me anyway, requires a time investment. I can only try one at a time or my nose gets mixed up. Taking notes about each scent would be a great way to determine which fragrances I really love and which ones I should pass on.

I love how you describe EL Bronze Goddess. I remember those days many years ago when I didn't worry about wrinkles and skin cancer and spent hours in the sun. I loved the feeling just being in the sun gave me (lots of vitamin D!) and the right fragrance after heightened that feeling. I can't remember what I wore back then but I'm sure it was along the lines of a light floral. You mention a "white floral" - I guess I don't know what that is. Time to Google!
  • Complexion: NW10; slight rosacea; dry
  • Eyes: Blue-gray
  • Hair: Dark blonde with slight gray, thick, wavy, dry
To be kind to all, to like many and love a few, to be needed and wanted by those we love, is certainly the nearest we can come to happiness. - Mary Stuart

milla

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2017, 10:47:53 AM »
I think my first 'grown-up' perfume in my 20s was Nina Ricci's 'L'air du Temps', but I cannot wear it now. I don't like it at all. I think it has been-reformulated... Why do they have to re-formulate fragrances? In most cases they just spoil them. :(

Styyna

• Ageless Beauty
  • "steena"
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2017, 07:16:37 AM »
I remember 'L'air du Temps'! I loved it in my late teens and early 20s. I'm sorry to hear that it has changed although I have found that I can't go back to any prior scent loves. My tastes have changed over time as have some of the formulas.

Did I mention that because of you I experimented with some Penhaligon's fragrances and my new favorite is Iris Prima? DH just loves it as do I. It's complex but very subtle as in not terribly powerful.
To be kind to all, to like many and love a few, to be needed and wanted by those we love, is certainly the nearest we can come to happiness. - Mary Stuart

milla

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2017, 11:30:06 AM »
I don’t know Iris Prima by Penhaligon, I must try it. I always love to go to Penhaligon’s. They have several shops in London and the one in Covent Garden is my favourite, because the assistants are so nice.
I went out yesterday (to buy a hat for a wedding!) and in one of the shops the Guerlain assistant invited me to try their new perfume, ‘Mon Guerlain’. I cannot resist Guerlain, but this one is not very memorable. It has got lavender and vanilla but it is not very sweet or cloying. When you first trying it is pleasant enough but not unlike a lot of other vanilla/floral/hint of citrus concoctions. When it dries down it is a different story: the white musk seems to swallow everything else…personally I am not too keen on white musk, it does blend well with my own body chemistry. ‘Mon Guerlain’ is a bit disappointing and imo will not go down in history as one of the great Guerlain fragrances.

Styyna

• Ageless Beauty
  • "steena"
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2017, 05:25:48 AM »
Still a novice at fragrance, I am not very familiar with Guerlain scents so appreciate your review. I need to learn the language so that I can better describe fragrances that I encounter.