News: The Timeless Beauty is a forum for women over 40.
Chat with us about makeup, skin care, or whatever is on your mind.
Free and open membership. Never any ads. Privacy always respected.
Interested? Read here and/or here. Or just register!

Author Topic: another Greek wedding...  (Read 149 times)

milla

• Ageless Beauty
another Greek wedding...
« on: July 12, 2017, 11:51:01 AM »
We are going to a big Greek wedding on Sunday. This will be my third Greek wedding; my daughter-in-law’s brother is getting married! My daughter-in-law’s parents are Greek Cypriots and her brother is marrying into a Greek Cypriot family. The wedding is outside London. The bride’s family have a small farm and they are having a marquee. The ceremony will take place in a CoE church, which has been ‘borrowed’ for the wedding, as there are no Greek Orthodox churches nearby.  Apparently, 400 people have been invited! This is quite normal for a Greek wedding, although my son’s was a lot smaller (under 200 people, which is  small by Greek standards). We are going down on Saturday and staying at a b&b overnight. My husband has booked us into a Nepalese restaurant on Saturday night! Never had Nepalese food, but I expect it is a bit like Indian food, or so I have been told. The weather forecast is good; no rain on Sunday in that area but I am not sure I will have the energy for all the Greek dancing. I am not the woman I was 6 years ago when I went to my first Greek wedding…

Styyna

• Ageless Beauty
  • "steena"
Re: another Greek wedding...
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2017, 05:21:33 AM »
Have a wonderful time! 400 guests sounds...overwhelming to this shy introvert. I can't imagine 200 guests. I empathize with not being quite as energetic as you were six years ago but somehow I suspect you will find enough energy for one dance.

Just because your fashion sense is so admirable, I have to ask: What are you wearing to the wedding?
  • Complexion: NW10; slight rosacea; dry
  • Eyes: Blue-gray
  • Hair: Dark blonde with slight gray, thick, wavy, dry
To be kind to all, to like many and love a few, to be needed and wanted by those we love, is certainly the nearest we can come to happiness. - Mary Stuart

milla

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2017, 07:01:46 AM »
I just about have time to send you this post as we are off in a few minutes:
http://www.phase-eight.com/fcp/product/phase-eight/dresses/annie-jacquard-dress/204051287
https://www.johnlewis.com/john-lewis-belle-shantung-disc-and-loop-occasion-hat/p3155227?colour=Navy
got everything in the sales, except the shoes, which I bought in Portugal, as they have great shoes over there. This wedding is costing me enough money as it happens. I am sure that I will wear the dress again; it was a bargain really. Must fly! back by Monday!x

Styyna

• Ageless Beauty
  • "steena"
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2017, 07:42:44 PM »
Very chic dress and stunning hat. I'm sure you turned a few heads! Hopefully the wedding was a lot of fun and your shoes from Portugal were comfortable as well as beautiful.
To be kind to all, to like many and love a few, to be needed and wanted by those we love, is certainly the nearest we can come to happiness. - Mary Stuart

milla

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2017, 02:55:55 AM »
The wedding was great fun.They got married in an Anglican church in a gorgeous village. The church is only 800 years old! They ‘borrowed’ the church for the day, because the nearest orthodox church is miles away. The Greek priest brought the icons and the Anglican vicar also took part, welcoming the congregation and doing the legal part of the ceremony before the Greek ritual. The bride looked beautiful in ivory antique lace, but I must say I loved the bride’s maids: I have never seen dresses so simple and yet so beautiful. They looked like Greek goddesses, it was like seeing the statues in an ancient frieze come alive. My little granddaughter was one of the flower girls, they all looked adorable but she was too overwhelmed to do what she was supposed to do, although she tried to copy her older cousins. The marquee and the gardens looked beautiful especially at night, with all the fairy lights and sweet smelling flowers. They had a live band (good, but imo not as good as the one that we had at my son’s wedding) and the food was superb. I am posting a photo of DH and I; he had the temerity of asking if we could get Sky Sports with my hat. After the ceremony we sneaked into the village pub, for a quick drink before calling the taxi and to miss all the rush. While we were there we saw this traction engine. Sending you a photo and also a photo of the church.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2017, 03:03:00 AM by milla »

Styyna

• Ageless Beauty
  • "steena"
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2017, 05:53:53 AM »
What a handsome couple you and your DH are! As I expected, you were beautiful in your lovely dress and hat. The church is beautiful, too. It's so old and stately! Finally, I've seen a lot of old tractors but never one like that!

I'm glad you had such a good time. It sounds like a nearly perfect wedding. I'm sure your granddaughter was darling as she tried to mimic the others. And when flower girls or ring bearers go off script it's often a highlight, not a drawback.

milla

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2017, 08:24:37 AM »
Thank you. I will post a few more photos inside the church, so you can see the beautiful stained glass and the tapestries.