News: The Timeless Beauty is a forum for women over 40.
Chat with us about makeup, skin care, or whatever is on your mind.
Free and open membership. Never any ads. Privacy always respected.
Interested? Read here and/or here. Or just register!

Author Topic: Weight Watchers  (Read 111 times)

Styyna

• Ageless Beauty
  • "steena"
Weight Watchers
« on: August 07, 2017, 04:03:36 AM »
Well, after trying to curb my carb cravings on my own I have finally recognized that I need to try a different approach and have recently signed up for Weight Watchers. I'm following the smart points system and tomorrow plan to attend my first weekly meeting. I have to say that, while I stay within the points pretty well, I haven't yet adjusted my choices to maximize the program. The program allows for pretty much unlimited vegetables and fruit as long as they aren't smothered in sauces or other calorie-laden preparations. It also allows carbs and sweets though they chew through the points at an alarming rate. I've found myself eating fewer foods so that I can still fit in a treat at the end of each day--usually a WW ice cream bar. However, after two weeks of following the program, I am finding that I'm eating fewer carbs and trying to find more meals with vegetables in them. My goal is to cut out sweets except for fruits and consume more vegetables along with lean protein and reasonable carbs.

I am diet challenged due to a medication that I take. It is implicated in weight gain and loss of energy--what a bad combo, huh? Discontinuing the medication has been tried and was an abysmal failure so I need to change my dietary lifestyle and I hope that WW helps me to do this.
  • Complexion: NW10; slight rosacea; dry
  • Eyes: Blue-gray
  • Hair: Dark blonde with slight gray, thick, wavy, dry
To be kind to all, to like many and love a few, to be needed and wanted by those we love, is certainly the nearest we can come to happiness. - Mary Stuart

SusieQ

• Ageless Beauty
Re: Weight Watchers
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2017, 10:19:33 AM »
Good luck, Styyna!  I will forever struggle with my weight issue. I just need to be more active but finding no time at all as some days, I can't even find a moment for myself.  But, will continue to curve time for me and do more walking and just exercise more.

We look forward to hearing about your journey!
  • Complexion: Medium/Combination
  • Eyes: Brown
  • Hair: Black w/waves

milla

• Ageless Beauty
Re: Weight Watchers
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2017, 11:03:52 AM »
I have mixed feelings about Weight Watchers. For a start, they are a business, their aim is to make a profit. But having said that, in the context of all the other diet plans, theirs is a very sensible one. I went to Weight Watchers, I think some 20 odd years ago, and I liked it!  The leader was very good at her job and very down to earth. Imo WW can be particularly helpful for people who don’t know a lot about nutrition (that is not your case, Styyna) because it does educate people on healthy eating. I don’t like WeightWatchers when they try to push their own products; you don’t need to buy ‘special diet foods’ to keep your weight down; and as for artificial sweeteners, no thanks.
I did lose weight with WW and it made me re-assess my eating habits. I was never really overweight after that, although my weight fluctuated a little over the years.
Before I had breast cancer I was very slim but I put on weight during and after the treatment. It is quite a misconception that all cancers make you lose weight. If you have chemo, you do lose a lot of weight during the treatment, but for the type of tumour I had, the adjuvant treatment (oestrogen inhibitors) can make you put your weight. It also affects your bone density and your energy levels. However, studies show that the medication significantly reduces the recurrence of cancer, therefore, like you, I chose to take it for the next 5 years.  I was in a very positive frame of mind during the acute phase of the treatment; when I finished it that I started feeling unwell…physically and mentally. Last Christmas I was not in a very happy place at all …there were other factors too… I won’t go into it. Then I sort of told myself that putting on weight was inevitable…  and my eating habits went a bit haywire. I went abroad a couple of times and got used to drinking wine at lunchtime and in the evening, plus the occasional G&T. Bread  and cheese…my downfall, I really indulged myself;  the odd pudding (who can resist chocolate mousse?). Obviously, my waistline expanded. I still told myself that it did not matter. After all, I am a grandmother and grandmothers should be cuddly. It is amazing the rubbish that you can come up with if you need to justify the unjustifiable. Meanwhile, I still wasn’t quite right, mentally. I am not going to expand on how it happened but, just after the crisis at Christmas, I decided to pull myself together and re-claiming my waist was a part of it. I have done it mainly through portion control. I am retired. I am 65. Therefore I don’t need to/cannot eat like I did when I was 20. Simple as that. I have cut down on some carbs; I eat very little pasta, no white rice, and no cakes or biscuits. Bread, only wholemeal, no more than twice weekly. I drink very little (a glass of red wine with my dinner once a week). As little red meat as possible (my husband is a big meat eater!). So what do I eat? Breakfasts: eggs, oatmeal porridge, yoghurt. Lunches: soups, home-made, with whatever vegetables I happen to have in the fridge. Today it was cauliflower and broccoli! Dinners: mainly chicken and fish, lamb beef or pork in small amounts, lots of green vegetables, no more than one potato, couscous, pulses. One or two portions of fruit a day. I drink black coffee every morning and maybe a cup of tea in the afternoon. Always start the day with a cup of hot water and lemon. I keep a diary, which is not just a food diary, but also a daily reflection of my life my feelings and thoughts for the day. On occasions I have noted down the effect that certain foods have on me. For example I had lunch with a friend recently and she had made a Pavlova. I used to love meringue years ago and of course I had to have a bit. I did not enjoy it half as much as I thought I would and the amount of sugar made me sick.
Having just read what I wrote, I have realised that the word ‘I’ features prominently in this post, and this was not intended to be about me! Going to WW is a positive move. Whatever people may say, it is a sensible eating plan, but try not to get caught in the points-counting, carb avoiding trap. You might want to keep a food diary, or simply note down how certain foods make you feel; what do you enjoy, what makes you feel nauseous or bloated? Has it ever happen to you to crave something and then, when you eat it, you feel that it is not all that marvellous? Swapping quantity for quality, not just in terms of food but in the way the food is consumed: instead of a quick mug of coffee, standing in the kitchen, I make ‘proper’ coffee every day, between 11:00 and 11:30 am and drink it from a nice cup. Biscuits don’t do anything for me, but a couple of squares of dark chocolate are great, or a few (well, about three) almonds go well with it. For me, this is an on-going and very personal thing; that is why I don’t believe in the ‘absolute’ diet-plan.