News: The Timeless Beauty is a forum for women over 40.
Chat with us about makeup, skin care, or whatever is on your mind.
Free and open membership. Never any ads. Privacy always respected.
Interested? Read here and/or here. Or just register!

Author Topic: The eclipse!  (Read 211 times)

milla

• Ageless Beauty
The eclipse!
« on: August 24, 2017, 01:36:27 PM »
Has anyone seen the eclipse? Well, 'see' is probably not the term since you cannot look at the sun; 'experience' is a better word imo.  We had one in 1999, it was the first time I experienced a solar eclipse and it is such an odd,  eerie feeling... Do share your experiences, please!

cara4art

• Ageless Beauty
Re: The eclipse!
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2017, 12:12:11 PM »
We had 76% totality here in SF. Our fog bank and clouds had other plans though for a clear view. Since I didn't have glasses, I didn't venture outside - only kept an eye on the change of light which was still evident  But I do know people who traveled to the path of totality, and seen lots of stunning photos. Such cosmic beauty and divine perfection. For a little bit there, people didn't have to pay attention to the horrors of our current regime.

Styyna

• Ageless Beauty
  • "steena"
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2017, 05:12:19 PM »
We were at 83% here and were able to see a bit of the eclipse before clouds came in at the peak for us. DH went to a lecture about the eclipse put on by a professor from one of the local colleges and received a pair of eclipse glasses there so we knew they were genuine. Even so, I only peeked at the sun through them for the briefest of moments.

I was underwhelmed, to be honest. I expected to feel more awe and wonder than I did. The clouds coming in were heavy and blocked out about as much of the sun as the eclipse so the darkening of the sky didn't feel remarkable. Likewise, the birds retreating to their homes during that time could have been attributed to weather as much as anything.

Still, as Cara said, the eclipse distracted from the daily horror show that is the news. For that I am grateful.
  • Complexion: NW10; slight rosacea; dry
  • Eyes: Blue-gray
  • Hair: Dark blonde with slight gray, thick, wavy, dry
To be kind to all, to like many and love a few, to be needed and wanted by those we love, is certainly the nearest we can come to happiness. - Mary Stuart

milla

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2017, 01:25:14 PM »
What I remember of the eclipse in 1999 was the changing light at around 1:30pm…it was so strange, like the twilight in the middle of the day. The birds got confused and started singing; it was so strange, like Time had stopped… I agree that we need distractions to keep our minds from dwelling in everything that is sad, scary and quite simply infuriating. I have not read the weekend papers yet, I am saving them for tomorrow morning with a cup of coffee.