News: The Timeless Beauty is a forum for women over 40.
Chat with us about makeup, skin care, or whatever is on your mind.
Free and open membership. Never any ads. Privacy always respected.
Interested? Read here and/or here. Or just register!

Author Topic: DeCluttering - Mid life Crisis?  (Read 184 times)

SusieQ

• Ageless Beauty
DeCluttering - Mid life Crisis?
« on: September 06, 2017, 08:10:32 PM »
Before I married my husband, I was a clean freak!  My husband - COMPLETE, opposite! OMG.  We are celebrating our 17 years this coming October. So, I guess, opposites do attracts.  After a few years, the clean freak took an hiatus.  Well...she came back about two months ago and she's come back with a vengeance!

Mind you, it's not like I have nothing to do. I'm up at 5am for work and home by 4pm. I have about 200 orchids, 100 succulents and cacti and maybe about 50+ other types of plants in and outside our home.  I also have a greenhouse for 1/2 of my orchids. My 11 year old son is eating like food is water.  We also have our furbaby that loves to chew his toys - just his toys - thank goodness. But, all his toys have those stuffing.  My mom often stays with us and she's far sided so she can't see the mess she makes.  So, do you have the picture now of what's going on with me so far? Oh, yeah, I have a youtube channel!

So, two months ago, the freaky Susieq came out.  She's been decluttering my home and cleaning so much that DH has been to the dump and donation center several times already. That's how much we have...and she's not done. On top of decluttering, the clean freak has found new ways to clean. Do you know that she has gone  so far as finding DIY laundry soap and dryer  softer!  Yeah, she's trying to save money, too.  And, the family likes the new laundry soap.  Then, she also found DIY multi purpose cleaner, floor cleaner, and glass cleaner.   The house is far from clean - her standard of clean- because the occupants are not in the same mindset. But, she doesn't seem to mind. It is what it is...

Am I going thru my mid-life crisss? If I am, I hope it stops soon because I'm tired but can't stop myself. LOL!   How does one know if s/he is going through some mid-life crisis? I guess it could be worse...off to clean something... :lol:
« Last Edit: September 06, 2017, 08:18:27 PM by SusieQ »
  • Complexion: Medium/Combination
  • Eyes: Brown
  • Hair: Black w/waves

Styyna

• Ageless Beauty
  • "steena"
Re: DeCluttering - Mid life Crisis?
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2017, 07:20:37 AM »
It sounds more like you reached a breaking point than a mid-life crisis to me. Whatever the impetus, I'm completely in awe of all that you are doing! Just tending to your flowers and plants must take a lot of time. DH spends at least an hour a day with his orchids and other plants and he only has a small fraction of what you have. Of course he's still at the point where he has to talk to and stroke each plant so it knows it's loved. :)

Good news that your DH is on board, at least as far as hauling things away. That's a nice part of the decluttering job to offload onto someone else.

What triggered making your own detergents and cleansers? That's an undertaking in itself! And as far as the house not yet being up to your standards of clean, well, it's hard to clean when there's a lot of clutter. Once you finish decluttering you will probably find that cleaning is much faster and easier.

You will soon be ready for what passes for winter in your part of the country. All tidied and cleaned  up. Doesn't that sound wonderful?! I'm cheering for you!
  • Complexion: NW10; slight rosacea; dry
  • Eyes: Blue-gray
  • Hair: Dark blonde with slight gray, thick, wavy, dry
To be kind to all, to like many and love a few, to be needed and wanted by those we love, is certainly the nearest we can come to happiness. - Mary Stuart

ILuvLucy

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2017, 07:37:13 AM »
OK, I'm tired just reading all of that.  Do you have time to sleep, dear SusieQ?!  :lol:  I'd love to hear your DIY laundry recipes when you have a spare moment (?!).  And any tips on where you get all your energy  :wink:
I find that on cloudy, rainy days, when it would be perfect for doing all sorts of chores indoors, I have no energy or motivation. I'm probably just being lazy haha.
I knew about your orchid collection, but I had not realized that you had such a large, wonderful collection of plants. Wowza!
  • Complexion: Light/Medium
  • Eyes: Blue
  • Hair: Blonde/Thin/Straight
"A mysterious expression will add a lovely sheen to your complexion" --Nancy Drew in The Clue of the Velvet Mask

milla

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2017, 11:14:52 AM »
‘OK, I'm tired just reading all of that.’ I thought precisely the same! My mother was a cleaning freak (in fact I think she had OCD). I like keeping things clean and tidy but it is easy for me: it is only the two of us! As for de-cluttering, I am always trying to get rid of stuff. My husband is not exactly a hoarder, but he is not as passionate as I am about paring things down. Again, my mother was someone who loved knick-knacks and ornaments; I guess my ‘minimalism’ is a reaction to the way I was brought up. Not that I am that minimalist.  William Morris said: ‘Have nothing in your houses that you do not know to be useful, or believe to be beautiful.’ I share his philosophy! As for making your own laundry products, I applaud the idea. Anything that is kinder to the environment gets my support. I only buy one type of cleaning spray and I use microfiber cloths with water for most things. I also like white spirit vinegar for cleaning the windows, the fridges, microwave…Lately I have stopped using cling film, I just keep everything in re-usable plastic containers. I am very far from perfect but I am trying… What is your DiY laundry product like, Susieq?

SusieQ

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2017, 11:20:45 AM »
It sounds more like you reached a breaking point than a mid-life crisis to me. Whatever the impetus, I'm completely in awe of all that you are doing! Just tending to your flowers and plants must take a lot of time. DH spends at least an hour a day with his orchids and other plants and he only has a small fraction of what you have. Of course he's still at the point where he has to talk to and stroke each plant so it knows it's loved. :)
I'm so glad that he is loving his orchid hobby again!  I do love talking to my plants...they're alive so I have feel that I can talk to them.

What triggered making your own detergents and cleansers? That's an undertaking in itself!

You will soon be ready for what passes for winter in your part of the country. All tidied and cleaned  up. Doesn't that sound wonderful?! I'm cheering for you!
After I clean or wipe down surfaces each night, straighten things around each room, and get ready for bed, it's usually close to 11pm. So, I spend some time -to power myself down  :lol:-  looking at youtude and I was looking at DIY gifts and such and one night I found DIYs on laundry detergents and surface cleaner.  That pretty much started the route. Not that I need to save money as we are doing this already, I figured why not give a try and save more money, too.  :grin:  My target is at least get the rooms that we used a lot decluttered and clean before the end of the year and I can work on those other areas in the beginning of the year.  I'l looking forward to making this year's holidays less stressful and if my house is decluttered, I would feel less stress, I think.  :lol:

SusieQ

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2017, 11:58:38 AM »
OK, I'm tired just reading all of that.  Do you have time to sleep, dear SusieQ?!  :lol:  I'd love to hear your DIY laundry recipes when you have a spare moment (?!).  And any tips on where you get all your energy  :wink:
I find that on cloudy, rainy days, when it would be perfect for doing all sorts of chores indoors, I have no energy or motivation. I'm probably just being lazy haha.
I knew about your orchid collection, but I had not realized that you had such a large, wonderful collection of plants. Wowza!
Hi Lucy, dear!  I don't know where I get my energy and Styyna may be right that I just hit a breaking point.  And, like you the energy and motivation were not there. Before, it was just me and DH so cleaning wasn't so much. Then, our son, pet and more often now mom were creating more and more clutter and mess. So, little by little, it was, "well, DS will play with that tomorrow so why put it away", "I'll get that tomorrow". It was a snowball and I was tired from getting little sleep and then no exercise. You all this combination means weight gain and boy did I gain it.  So, now that I think about it more and more, I think Styyna is right...I hit a point and want my old self back.  I can't change my family and I am in essence the head of the household and maybe if I lead by example....  So, I put on my big girl pants and boy are they big and decided to declutter but I was finding it harder and harder to get the energy and motivation so I turned to Youtube and do know there is are millions of videos on how to clean and boy to they motivate you because their homes are so clean and while I'm realistic enough to know that it will take many, many  months to get my house into a place where I will be happy with, these videos gave me motivations!  When I feel the "I keep cleaning and nothing gets done feeling", I just watch one or two and I'm back on the energy/motivation train.  I will post the laundry recipe in another subject so that others can find it, if interested.  :grin:

SusieQ

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2017, 12:02:36 PM »
‘OK, I'm tired just reading all of that.’ I thought precisely the same! My mother was a cleaning freak (in fact I think she had OCD). I like keeping things clean and tidy but it is easy for me: it is only the two of us! As for de-cluttering, I am always trying to get rid of stuff. My husband is not exactly a hoarder, but he is not as passionate as I am about paring things down. Again, my mother was someone who loved knick-knacks and ornaments; I guess my ‘minimalism’ is a reaction to the way I was brought up. Not that I am that minimalist.  William Morris said: ‘Have nothing in your houses that you do not know to be useful, or believe to be beautiful.’ I share his philosophy! As for making your own laundry products, I applaud the idea. Anything that is kinder to the environment gets my support. I only buy one type of cleaning spray and I use microfiber cloths with water for most things. I also like white spirit vinegar for cleaning the windows, the fridges, microwave…Lately I have stopped using cling film, I just keep everything in re-usable plastic containers. I am very far from perfect but I am trying… What is your DiY laundry product like, Susieq?
Sometimes, I think I'm OCD...I love your thinking and right there, I am motivated to keep going on my path.  I don't know if my DIY laundry products is environmentally friendly but my DS, who I taught to do his laundry when he was nine, said that his clothes are cleaner! Yes, I've been using microfiber and using vinegar and baking soda for surface cleaning and adding essential oils.

milla

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2017, 03:15:05 PM »
Well done or teaching your son to do the laundry I read an article recently about getting children to help with the household chores; apparently it makes them more independent and assertive! the person who wrote the article sounded like she had re-invented the wheel: of course it makes them more independent and responsible. That is what we all did when we were kids. By the time I was 10 I looked after my younger siblings, went to the grocers, helped my mother...but I digress. I must look up DiY detergents on youtube.

SusieQ

• Ageless Beauty
« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2017, 11:49:29 AM »
I was independent because I was the youngest of four.  So, by the time, I was ready to leave the nest, I was not good at it.  So, I wanted my son to be able to do things in case I'm sick or whatever comes. We had visitors come while I was posting yesterday so I didn't get around to posting the DIY detergent. I'll post that now.  :grin:

Styyna

• Ageless Beauty
  • "steena"
« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2017, 02:01:48 PM »
My mother suffered from undiagnosed depression (it was mostly unheard of back then) while I was growing up so didn't teach us to help around the house. Still, I wanted to help and learned by watching and doing. Unfortunately, I didn't learn to maintain a home on a regular basis. I learned to organize and clean when the fancy struck me. That has been the method of my madness most of my adult life. Somehow, while I was single parenting, I had some extended periods of home maintenance on a regular basis so both of my sons learned to keep their own homes tidy. I am so grateful that it's just my DH and me now. He's a little messy but can be coaxed to pick up after himself from time to time. If I pick up after him he can't find anything!
  • Complexion: NW10; slight rosacea; dry
  • Eyes: Blue-gray
  • Hair: Dark blonde with slight gray, thick, wavy, dry
To be kind to all, to like many and love a few, to be needed and wanted by those we love, is certainly the nearest we can come to happiness. - Mary Stuart