News: The Timeless Beauty is a forum for women over 40.
Chat with us about makeup, skin care, or whatever is on your mind.
Free and open membership. Never any ads. Privacy always respected.
Interested? Read here and/or here. Or just register!

Author Topic: DIY Laundry Detergent and Dyer Sponge  (Read 180 times)

SusieQ

• Ageless Beauty
DIY Laundry Detergent and Dyer Sponge
« on: September 17, 2017, 12:09:28 PM »
You know when you watch one video, Youtube links you to other similar videos and that's what happened. I can't even remember where I started but I ended liking the following youtubers on home cleaning/dyi cleaning recipes:

Do It On A Dime
Clutterbug - I settled on her DYI detergent and dyer sponge. I may try other recipes from other youtubers but for now, this is it.
Love Meg
Clean My Space - she's good but not one of my favorites

These four should get you started as Youtube will link more. Do It On a Dime and Clutterbugs are my favorites but I'm starting to watch another one so I may have something new from her but probably not..they all run the same type of videos.

If you google DIY detergent - you will find variations but they all contain the same three products:

Detergent:
8 cups of borax
16 oz baking soda
16 oz oxi-clean
40 drops of EO - from Clutterbug

This sponge dryer is from Clutterbug:
1 cup liquid fabric softener of choice (I use the one from the $1 store)
8 cups of water
Cut regular sponge in half and soak in liquid
I use one of those containers from the $1 store to mix the liquids

You don't have to wring the sponge. Just toss in and when you laundry is dry, the sponge will be dry, too,and you just toss it back in the container.
We've been using these for the month and it's been great.

Enjoy!
  • Complexion: Medium/Combination
  • Eyes: Brown
  • Hair: Black w/waves

ILuvLucy

• Ageless Beauty
Re: DIY Laundry Detergent and Dyer Sponge
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2017, 08:14:01 AM »
Thank you, SusieQ.  I've seen various forms of the laundry detergent (like you said), but I wanted to see what works for you.  I may try this. I will definitely try the dryer softener solution. I usually use the type you put in the washer, but we like to have the dryer sheets on hand as well. So this might work for us because I keep forgetting to buy them.

• Complexion: Light/Medium
  • Eyes: Blue
  • Hair: Blonde/Thin/Straight
"A mysterious expression will add a lovely sheen to your complexion" --Nancy Drew in The Clue of the Velvet Mask

Styyna

• Ageless Beauty
  • "steena"
Re: DIY Laundry Detergent and Dyer Sponge
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2017, 02:03:05 PM »
SusieQ, do you know if the detergent made from your recipe will work in a front loading, HE machine?
  • Complexion: NW10; slight rosacea; dry
  • Eyes: Blue-gray
  • Hair: Dark blonde with slight gray, thick, wavy, dry
To be kind to all, to like many and love a few, to be needed and wanted by those we love, is certainly the nearest we can come to happiness. - Mary Stuart